Tuesday, September 23, 2014

31 Day Challenge

Yesterday I came across something called the "31 Day Challenge" on another blog I read.  It all started with a blogger who challenged herself a few years ago, then her friends the next year.  Last year there were over 1,000 people taking the challenge.  Basically, you write on your blog every day in October about the same topic.  You can pick any topic you want and there is no rules!  There are no requirements for length or anything like that.  It is just a fun way to encourage people to write and find other blogs that might interest them.  Here is the link to details:

http://write31days.com/what-is-31-days/

There are categories that you can place your topic in, including house and home, organizing, family life, food, writing and blogging, inspiration and faith, and personal endeavors.  At first I thought the challenge was interesting but had no idea what to write about for 31 days and it seemed like the things I am absorbed in right now (kids, parenting, trying to manage the house, the most effective number of seconds in the microwave in which to microwave a 2 year old's hot dog, etc.) have been done so many times (although it is OK to write on the same topic as someone else because no two people will ever be the same! I just read so much about those things already every day on various web sites...) and I kind of want a break from them anyway.  I thought about other things I am interested in, such as sewing, music, reading, studying history, etc. and felt discouraged because I don't really have time for those things right now.  Then I noticed that there were many hundreds of people writing on most of the topics but the fashion and beauty category only had 17 entries so I thought I would come up with a way to join that category!  First I thought I would do "31 Days of Cleaning the Closet" where I would make myself simplify that mess in there.  But I recently did that for a rummage sale and am kind of attached to what remains for various reasons.  But today I thought of maybe spending the 31 days rediscovering what is already in my closet!  Indeed, it is full and many of the items are past the "get rid of it if you haven't worn it in the last year" rule.  I struggle with that rule.  Since having two kids in two years some things don't fit the same and some of the garments are relics of the life I had before, where I went to my desk job and out with friends to bars and restaurants every day and not to the YMCA and Target with my baby and toddler.  But there is no reason that those piles and hangers of clothing can't be used in a versatile manner and I enjoy not wearing sweat pants every day. Maybe it will get me to use my inventory of scarves, belts, and jewelry again.  Also, this is a light hearted topic that will allow me to joke around a bit at my own expense so that will be fun.

So, I am going to try it starting October 1st.  No one will come and ban me from the challenge if I miss a day so that makes me feel better.  I am going to try though!   I am kind of intimidated by the hyperlinking that needs to be done between here and the main challenge page and also between pages in this blog but I have a few days to figure that out.  I already made a hyperlink button for the first time so that is one part of the challenge I already have overcome.  It's nothing special but I like it. 

 

It's a button with buttons! Buttons are cute, right?  And they relate to clothes, right? 

Day 1: http://marenask.blogspot.com/2014/10/day-1-of-rediscovering-my-closet.html

Day 2: H & M Arm Trap http://marenask.blogspot.com/2014/10/h-m-arm-trap.html

Day 3:  Not Worth It!  http://marenask.blogspot.com/2014/10/not-worth-it.html

Day 4: The Crazy Tassel Scarf http://marenask.blogspot.com/2014/09/the-crazy-tassel-scarf.html

Day 5: A Pinterest Attept http://marenask.blogspot.com/2014/10/a-pinterest-attempt.html

Day 6: Beach Cover Up http://marenask.blogspot.com/2014/10/beach-cover-up.html

Day 7: Gym Gear http://marenask.blogspot.com/2014/09/gym-gear.html

Day 8: Cotton Vest

Day 9: "Maternity Shirt"

Day 10:  HC HC HC

Day 11: Where Plaid Shirts Go...

Day 12:  Going Home

Day 13: Dr. Scholl's

No comments: