Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day

Our Labor Day weekend was pretty fun...OK, it was really fun! Of course, we had a wedding. I think I have been invited to weddings this weekend for the last five years or something like that. This year the wedding was that of a friend of Justin's (and mine as well, but they know each other as hunting buddies. Justin's cousin was the best man). It was a fun small town wedding with a dance at the legion and lots of beer flowing. What made the night really fun was the Bison game! During the dance I texted my brother to find out the score and he said it was 6-3 at the beginning of the 4th quarter and the Bison were winning! They were playing the University of Kansas Jayhawks, a Big 12 team that expected this game to be a joke. As soon as we found out the score we went to the pickup to listen to the radion. Hahahaha upset! The Bison won! We were really excited.

On Sunday night I went to Fargo to attend a concert. Me and my brother had plans to go and had purchased tickets and my sister decided to go at the last minute. We saw the Gaslight Anthem, a rock group that is up and coming. They have three albums out and are starting to get noticed. Click on the link below to open a video of them performing one of my favorite songs they sing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw4YwJppiec&feature=related

I love this song. It's so intense and sounds so unique! Their live performance was really captivating. The lead singer is really charismatic. I think he's pretty attractive, as for as rock star types go!
This is a picture of the whole group.

This is the lead singer. At the concert in Fargo he wore a tight black t-shirt with rolled up sleeves like a hood from the 50's. I liked the style of the whole group. Very manly.
I love when musical groups that I like come to the area. It doesn't happen very often so I like to experience them when I can. It is fun when the concerts are at smaller venues as opposed to stadiums. The Gaslight Anthem had alot of energy, and talent of course, and let the performance speak for itself without any fancy sets or special effects. The tickets were pretty cheap as well. I enjoy watching old music videos on Youtube of groups from the past when they were trying to make a name for themselves and they fascinate me. I always wish I could have seen Bruce Springsteen in the late 1970's or Eminem when he was still unknown. I went to Pat Green, the country artist, with Roommate in college in some little club in Minneapolis and I still think fondly of how fun it was and how it was so loud and kind of like a house party in college (in a good way). I also saw Dropkick Murphys, a very loud punk band, last winter and it was the most fun I've had at a concert. I listen to their live cd in my car and wish I could be at the concert all over again. I always wonder if the groups I am will be huge someday and I wish more would give ND a spot on their tours!

No comments: