Sunday, September 19, 2010

Fall on the Way

Although, scientifically speaking, it is still summer, there is autumn in the air.  ( I just looked it up an the autumnal equinox is on September 23 this year, so we have three days left of Summer!)  It really doesn't feel like summer anymore.  Last Friday, a few slushy snowflakes fell overnight here in Bis.  I wasn't here to see it with my own eyes, so I don't have any pictures to horrify anyone who might be reading this in a Southern climate.  Today the temperature went back into the typical 60's, so winter is not quite imminent yet.  I believe it will probably get hot again because last year we moved into this house at the end of September and it was hot like July.  Of course it was, when I was climbing three flights of stairs all day, every day, for two weeks. 

Although I love summer and warm weather and sandals and all of that, I always enjoy the change of the seasons.  I even enjoy the first snow (the FIRST snow, the one that happens in November or December, not the feet and mountains of snow that fall into April around here).  The slight chill in the air is invigorating.  A few weeks ago I put on jeans for the first time since early June (when you are not working you can get buy with not putting on long pants for three months.  It is great.) and realized I missed them!  And they still fit, fortunately.  Although I love an excuse to buy new clothes, my penchant for expensive jeans would make replacing my collection cost prohibitive. 

An especially fun fall activity for both Justin and I is tailgating at Bison football games.  Saturday was the first home game of the season and it was a lovely, crisp day.  I recall that it was really hot on this same weekend last year and it was nice to be able to wear a cozy sweatshirt instead of shorts and a t-shirt!  For tailgating, warmer clothes just seem right!  Almost everyone I know was at or was invited to a wedding this weekend, so most of my usual drinking buddies (I am referring to my female friends who like to tailgate and then watch the game at the bar while our  husbands/boyfriends/other friends watch the game in the stadium) were not available.  It was still alot of fun, but I wasn't in a photographer-like mood so I will have to do a more extensive tailgating post later in the year.  Here are a few that I took...




That is our friends' baby daughter, Greta, at her first Bison game.  She liked to touch Justin's prickly face.

I watched an entire game in person for the first time in several years (I think the last one I watched was when the Bison played the Gophers in 2007).  It was pretty fun.  I'd do it again!  It would be nice if beer in moderation was sold in the dome though...


No comments: