Friday, September 24, 2010

Baby Shower

Although I am 27 years old, very few of my friends have had babies.  Also, I am on the older end of my relatives so I don't have any older siblings or cousins who have had babies (I'm speaking of my side of the family...Justin's on the younger end of his relatives and his siblings are close to our age and have decided to start families and give up the selfish lifestyle Justin and I live, where we do whatever we want and Justin spends his money on hunting supplies and spends quiet nights watching hours upon hours of sports without interruption and I drive around in my car blasting obscene rap music so loud that I usually don't hear my phone if it rings and swill mass quantities of caffeinated beverages and beer).  Therefore, I haven't been to many baby showers compared to some other women my age and I haven't ever thrown one without a responsible "adult" taking care of the details.  (I hosted one for my sisters-in-law last spring but Justin's mom took care of most of the details involving the menu and preparation). 

Well, my friend Ashley, the person I often refer to on here as "Roommate" because she was my roommate for three years in college, is expecting a baby in November.  We love each other.  I was in her wedding in October of 2005 and she was in mine in 2007.  She is friends with my sister as well, and we have taken over her house for our wedding related needs several times over the years (she hosted the pre-party for my bachelorette party and we set up a makeshift hair salon in her kitchen the morning of Andrea's wedding) so we decided to have a small baby shower for her last night. (Well, we decided to have it last month but it took place last night). We chose a Thursday because no one had a free weekend and it worked out perfectly!  We had a "Bison Baby" theme because the baby's gender is going to be a surprise, for us and for the parents, so the probably would have lead us the the gender neutral colors of green and yellow anyway!  The food was similar to food one would eat while tailgating at a football game.  Andrea grilled kababs and we had some chips and various cream cheese based dips on the menu.  We kept the beverages non-alcoholic because almost 1/2 of the guests were pregnant and it was a week night anyway. So, unlike real tailgating there were no 32 oz. plastic mugs of beer. 

We played a game of my own invention called "Baby Names:  Real or Fake".  I made a sheet with a list of about 50 baby names, all absolutely ridiculous or overly trendy or spelled like the person giving the name might be illiterate.  Some the names came from hospital and newspaper birth announcements websites and some of them I made up.  It was a hit and very hilarious. 

There we are, the roommates!

Ashley/Roommate got alot of great gifts and everyone seemed to have fun so I guess it was a success!  I must admit, baby things are so cute.  I especially love the fuzzy little sleepers with feet and little cardboard books about baby animals. 

That gift is from me...I wrapped it in red, white and blue to make it patriotic because we have an inside joke about overtly patriotic things.  Not patriotism in general of course (that's good).  We used to make fun of cliched patriotic country songs that were rampant in the years after 9/11.  Mostly because the songs were musically bad and trying to exploit tragedy to make money.  Haha.  Yeah, I know, so funny.  I can imagine everyone thinking "Ummm OK, those songs were bad, but I guess I never thought about it that much."  Anyway, that box stood out in the pile of cute pastel boxes and bags, and not in a good way!  In that box was a quilt that i made!  I finished when I finished those other ones I showed awhile back but Roommate reads this sometimes so I didn't want her to see it before the shower.  I will showcase my work in a later post. 

Have a good weekend everyone!

No comments: