Monday, September 27, 2010

Baby Quilt

OK, I will show you what I gave Roommate for her baby shower gift!  It was a quilt and I think it is very cute.  I like it so much I wanted to keep it but that would be selfish of me and what would I do with a miniature quilt? 


This was my first attempt at a quilt with blocks of any other shape besides squares.  The pattern is called "tumblers" because they are shaped like a tumbler/drinking glass.  I suppose you could call it "trapezoids" if you wanted.  You can make them short and wide or tall and skinny.  Mine were, if I remember correctly, 6 inches at the wide end and 4 inches at the narrow end.  I tacked my indimidation about using a rotary cutter and now realize how lame that was.  It is really not that hard. 

I chose the aqua and red combination because we don't know what gender the baby is.  It was challenging not to make it overly feminine because alot of fabric, regardless of the color, is floral.  There is one floral pattern in here but oh well.  Babies don't know what is going on anyway when it comes to what textile patterns are socially acceptable for their gender.  I mostly wanted to pick attractive fabrics.  I like the contrast of the two colors. 

This is a close up shot of the quilting.  I wish I could say that I quilted it with painstaking detail as I watched TV at night.  However, that is not the case.  My grandmother, Phyllis, has a machine with a long arm intended for quilting so I sent it to her in the mail and she probably quilted this whole thing in 30 minutes or less.  She's kind of a pro!

No comments: