Monday, May 10, 2010

Runnings Farm and Fleet

Allan is getting fat and we attribute it to his kitten specific food. Sources tell us that kittens are supposed to eat food formulated for kittens, with its high protein content and high levels of nutrition, for one year. He turns one in June so we decided to head to Runnings Farm and Fleet to get him some grown up food. It turned into a delightful little excursion for everyone!

We got a patio set! We looked at Target but all of the sets that were affordable would not fit very well on the deck since it is a strange hexagon shape. This little set was just perfect! You can see in the background that we also got a new grill! We used some of our wedding giftcards, so thanks to everyone who was so good to us almost three years ago! We saved them until we had a house to furnish and it paid off! Of course, they could have been spent many times over on mundane things but what meaning would that have?
Back to the Runnings adventure. . .If you didn't know, Runnings is like Fleet Farm or Tractor Supply. It has supplies for horses and livestock, as well as pet food, work clothes, toys and some sporting goods. Also, apparently, in the spring they sell baby chicks and ducks! Not for pet purposes (as an supporter of humane animal treatment I frown upon the practice of giving children chicks and ducks as pets as gifts for Easter or other spring events. They often end up neglected when the cute stages passes) but for farm purposes such as egg harvesting.
How cute are these? I really wanted to pick one up but I was afraid I would do it wrong. I was amazed you could touch them if you wanted (except if they were in a container marked "sold"). Runnings must know its customers would respect animals.
Little ducks!

Runnings also had a large $1 room that had all of the furnishings that a $ store would have. I dismiss $ stores as too cheap for my time except for things like gift wrapping supplies. I found the pet section and couldn't resist getting Allan a new toy! I thought a new toy would encourage him to be more active so we bought him this wand thing with a long string and some fish dangling from it. He loves it.
Even Justin got a fun present to display in his office!
It was marked down in the toy section. I even got a special fun treat (besides the patio set)! I chose a 1 lb. bag of sour gummi worms! Delish! Runnings Farm and Fleet, you have a new fan.
When I was checking out the newly assembled table on the deck I noticed a bird's nest on the window ledge of the little bathroom window. It was not one of the gross mud nests that swallows make. Justin stepped on the utility box to look inside and reported that there was a robin's egg in there!
Awww, birds can be pests but this is so cute! If it's not a barn swallow I can live with it. I saw the mother roosting in there later in the day. I wonder when it will hatch? Allan doesn't need to know about this. . .

No comments: