Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day

Every year on Memorial Day I flash back to the memorial service that is held at the local cemetary every year. It never changed. There was the 21 gun salute by the Legion members, and the same woman from the Legion Auxiliary sang "America the Beautiful". She used the instrumental interlude to narrate the same story every year about how when she was a little girl she watched the local boys go off to war. Then they read the names of the local veterans who had passed away. And, if it was between the years of, oh, probably 1998-2001 you would then hear me playing "Taps" on my trumpet! It was alot of pressure! Who would want to interrupt the solemn moment when "Taps" is being played with missed note? I always pulled it off, fortunately.

This year I spent the weekend hanging out, entertaining visitors and kicking off summer with yardwork. Our first visitors were Justin's parents, Mary and Larry, who were here Thursday and Friday to observe Justin's birthday. On Friday morning Mary and I headed to the greenhouse so I could purchase some annuals for my flower pots. She followed me with a cart while I impulsively grabbed six packs of Impatiens and Snapdragons.
Here the plants are, waiting to be arranged!

While we were having an enjoyable creating lovely arrangements in my planters, Justin and Larry were nearby doing some manual labor.

There is landscaping around the deck in the back of the house and also in front of the house. Justin has undertaken the project of removing the old rock and plastic to replace it with new rock. It seems like a tedious project to me but I know it will look great when it is done. I can't wait to plant some new perrenials!

Here is a shot of the front step with some of the planters! I seem to have captured my shadow in the picture...I always do that!

It was very hot outside on Thursday and Friday and the sun really hits the front of the house all afternoon so I suggested we unroll the cute vintage window shade! I don't think it had been used for several years because it was filthy. I love how it looks though! It makes me feel like I live in some more exotic location like Florida or Arizona. Haha.

So cute!
We had multiple friends staying with us over the weekend because of a wedding that took place on Saturday. Also, Justin's cousin, Ryan, came to help with the landscape project. On Friday night, my friend Mandy came over and the four of us grilled and sat on the deck. It's really fun to use the deck and our new patio set! It was still very hot so I had one of my favorite hot weather beverages ane sliced up a lime. Delish!
On Sunday, after the guests left, I planted some tomato and pepper plants in the garden. All of the seeds have sprouted and I can't wait for some vegetables! I wish I could eat them now. I love instant gratification, but I will have to wait. Sigh...
Allan loved all of his visitors and on Sunday morning I woke up and heard the TV on. I got up and discovered Al snuggling with Ryan in the chair! I would have liked to get a picture but as soon as I started walking around the house he jumped down from the chair and followed me. Too bad!





No comments: