Friday, May 21, 2010

Greenhouse

After work today An-Man (my nickname for Andrea) and I went to some greenhouses to buy flowers for her outdoor flower pots. I was excited about it all day because I love greenhouses! I have loved them since I was a child. How could you not? A greenhouse is like a steamy tropical oasis filled with color and the smells of flowers, water, and soil. During college, I was involved in Mortarboard and we had an event called college for kids. One year, one of the "classes" took place in a research greenhouse on campus and it was like a secret garden hidden from the students as they trudged around the freezing cold campus. It was like a humid jungle!

This fascination started long before my college days. We always planted annuals around our house when I was growing up (and still do.) I recall being delighted by my a trip to a large nursury and greenhouse in Grand Forks that had flowers, shrubs and trees as well as fountains and garden n0velties. I was in 5th grade. It must have been in the spring or in the fall because a few days later my class had an assigment to imagine ourselves as grown up swith careers and write a story about it. I envisioned myself as a horticulturist who managed a big greenhouse! In the story I took care of plants, arranged planters filled with flowers and helped people pick out flowers. The people were all interesting characters. I recall the large "Very good!" scrawled on the front by my teacher and several "funny!" and "interesting!" interjections as well. She was probably caught off guard by finding a horticulturist mixed in with the typical teachers, farmers, doctors and professional athletes that most kids in elementary school imagine themselves becoming. I wonder what my 5th grade self would think if she could see me now. . .staring at a computer screen reading corporate drivel for 10 hours a day. . .I think she would decide to put more of an effort into her science classes. . .

My shopping tonight, which was all for Andrea's house, made me very excited to get back to my own house to plant some flowers! It was pretty picked over and I hope there are plants left by the time I get there! I took some photos with my phone, in case anyone has never seen a greenhouse before! ;)
Petunias are an old favorite of mine. They are one of the few varieties of annuals that have been able to survive on the south side of the house on the farm, which bakes in the sun all day in the summer. The other two are marigolds and geraniums. Plants in that area must be able to handle full sun, repeatedly used soil, no fertilizer, and infrequent watering. I was unable to plant these flowers last year at our apartment because our balcony got about 2 hours of sun a day during the longest days of June. I had to live with the shade loving Impatiens and Begonias (which I also love! They grew on the shady East side of the farm house on the front porch. I think they look tropical!) I can't wait to plant some sun loving flowers this year!
I loved this pine tree! It is like a little ball on a stem!

These are called Hens and Chicks. They are a more delicate perrenial that we attempted when I was a child. They didn't come back after a few years. . .I guess they think they're too good or something! Huh Hens and Chicks? You think you're too good for the farm? I think they just couldn't handle it. . .

Andrea bought a few of these Asiatic lillies in pink and purple. I want some! I also want some tomato plants and cilantro so I can inhale its delicious aroma!

No comments: