Monday, September 28, 2009

Pillows and .... Gourds?

It's almost October and fall is here! I have always loved seasonal decorating so I couldn't resist when I saw Gourds for sale in the store this weekend. I have always loved gourds. We used to grow them in our garden on the farm before the whole family gave up on gardening due the the out of control weeds that come along with the fertile valley soil. I love how each gourd looks different and how they are so ugly but also fascinating. There was one gourd that caught my eye in the bin this weekend, and I couldn't walk away without buying the exquisite thing! (And all of you please keep your thoughts clean! I'm aware of the comparisons you can make with gourds, but this is strictly about gourds!)




I think that is the most hilarious example of a gourd I've ever seen. Adding to my fun was the fact that Justin returned from Wyoming with a few gourds he'd bought me as a suprise (the cute pumpkin shaped ones)! Oh, he knows me too well...

This afternoon unpacked my sewing machine and did something I have wanted to do for a long time. . . cover the ugly, generic pillows that came with our couch ensemble!





These are the pillows before I covered them. Very wierd, kind of 80's, not my style...

Here is the first one I covered! I found a really easy technique on the "Internets" that gave the measurements for the type of cover that has an overlapping slit in the back instead of a zipper or buttons.

I think someone is jealous of how good the others look! Don't worry, #4 got its cover as well!

I also finished another project I have been thinking about since I moved almost one year ago. My mom and I went to an estate auction last October to see if I could buy the washer and dryer on the bill. There was alot of other crap there and I ended up buying a little white stool with a pink ruffle glued around the seat for $4. I thought "I can paint that". The plan backfired when I pulled off the ruffle and discovered that there was a thin wood cover glued on the original seat with some sort of black material that resembled tar. It was almost impossible to remove and came of one tiny sliver at a time. I decided it wasn't worth it and set the stool by the door to throw away. However, after several days of sitting on it to put on my shoes, I realized it really was a solid thing and never did throw it away. FINALLY...it will live up to its potential!

I painted it brown (the same brown as the "blood furniture" mentioned previously), bought a piece of foam and some fabric, and stapled it on with a staple gun. I must say that it is really cute! I can't believe I waited so long to do something with it.

No comments: