Wednesday, September 23, 2009

More of the Same



Ugh this place is such a mess! I can't say it enough! For everthing that gets where it should be there are three more things that appear in the same place.


The only remotely interesting (and the interest is minimal, just like most of what is on this blog!) is that I have been painting some furniture in the garage. It is a "bedroom set" for our guest room, which is the furniture I started using when I moved to Grand Forks for school. This bedroom set, if you can call it that, is a headboard my mom found at a rummage sale for $5 and two old living room end tables from the 70's that I have painted different colors throughout the years. First, they were a swimming pool blue to match a very juvenile looking Hawaiian themed bed in a bag set I bought in 2005. It was cute, but pretty juvenile. I still have the sheets, which are very cute and printed with palm trees. The rest made its way to a thrift store last year. After that, I painted the ensemble bright red. The newest color is a dark brown. I bought pre-colored Rustoleum paint because I was embarassed to ask the Menards paint workers to mix even more paint for me (This would be the 6th color in a month).

This whole project has been questionable. When I opened the paint, it looked like dark purple, not "Kona Brown" as the paint was labelled. I was secretly excited because I love purple, but since I live with a man I try to keep "female" colors (whatever that means anyway? It's all based on our socialization!) to small doses, just as I ask him to keep the hunting and outdoor themed elements to a minimum. Compromise is important!


I did the first coat last night, and discovered that it dries brown. However, the paint does not cover well, and the red showed through alot. It actually all looked really bad-kind of like dried blood! (Sorry, that's really gross, but it's the first thought I had!)

I did two more coats today and it looks much better and less bloody. One more should do it! Notice the blue window frame in the picture. That is a jewelry holder I made from an old window I found at home on the farm...It used to be red also. I used normal mixed paint on that, and (of course) it covered most of the red with one coat! Ugh, Rustoleum...you have dissapointed me...

No comments: