Sunday, October 4, 2009

Homecoming

It's Sunday afternoon and I am back home after a weekend in Fargo. It was no ordinary weekend...it was NDSU Homecoming! This is a weekend I have loved since I started college. My family used to go to the parade when I was in elemtary school as well and I loved it because I got to see my cousins and eat junk food (specifically, a McDonald's Happy Meal that came in a halloween bucket!). It has been a family tradition for years. This year was special because my cousin was nominated for Homecoming Queen and my aunt and uncle came from Chicago! The weekend was full of family and friends and everyone had a great time.

Homecoming brings me waves of nostalgia because there are so many friends there and I always visit Kappa Delta, the sorority I joined when I was a Freshman. Each year, the girls get younger and less familiar, but the house never feels less like home. Walking into that house makes me feel so happy and welcome. It's not one of the stately mansions that house many sororities, but it is always warm and smells good and looks beautiful. I know many people think only negative things about Greek organizations, and I wish everyone could experience what I feel when I visit that place and see those girls. I can't imagine what my life would have been like if, instead of walking into a warm, vibrant house at the end of the day I had to return to a dark, generic apartment. FYI, alot of the negative things that circulate about Greek life are not true, and if they are true, they are a remnant of the past.


The visit to the house was only the beginning. Homecoming is full of bliss. We tailgated then migrated to the bar for lunch. Being in that old campus bar with friends, drinking tall beers from plastic cups and eating greasy food, makes me feel so content. . . it is one of my favorite aspects of fall and football season. Unfortunately, we lost the game. Oh well. . . there will be more games. . .
Anyway. . . this post has nothing to do with our house. I hope no one minds!

No comments: