Thursday, September 24, 2009

A Post to Honor the Despised Storage Equipment

Tonight we finally moved the final, last, most unloved items from the apartment. It is a huge relief because I don't think I can climb those three flights of stairs anymore...it's OK on a regulary daily basis, but this has been exhausting. Not suprisingly, what was left were a few of the things I loathe the most when it comes to moving. They are items that I have been looking forward to getting rid of every time I move, but never do because I still require the storage.





This horrible wire unit was purchased in the fall of 2003. It was one of the first nights Ashley (the person I usually refer to as Roommate) and I were spending back at KD after summer had ended and Junior year was starting and we were trying to get our room situated (they were very small rooms.) We realized we had a problem so we headed to Wal-Mart at about 11:00 pm to find a solution. We were silly and giggly the whole time and eventually settled on this modular thing that you could configure to fit the room and your needs. We pointlessly debated about purchasing a black or white one, and chose the one pictured above. For the next two years this cage-like thing was snapped into all different shapes. The boxes were separated then reconnected. When we graduated, she so very graciously let me keep it and every time I move I hate snapping it apart and back together again. We moved it whole this time...and it's new life is as a laundry room utility shelf. As much as it has irritated me over the years, it has served a good purpose.

This cheap looking shoe bag was another college necessity. I think I chose it because it was the cheapest one and I still dislike it. It was also purchased in 2003 and has been with me everywhere. Everytime you try to move it the whole thing flops around and the shoes fall everywhere. Every time I move, I think I might throw it away, but I never do. Those little worn dress shoes need to go somewhere, right? Now they will hang in one of our extra basement closets, rarely to see the light of day, still trapped in their cheap cardboard and plastic barrier.

I have multiple sets of these cheesy plastic drawers in my life. I have one that holds clothes (still!) which I have wanted to eliminate since I moved to law school. Alas, I still have it because eliminating it would mean eliminating clothes. Not happening! The one pictured above is full of stationary, office supplies, and old cell phone parts. It says "Neameyer" on the back because at some point Roommate and I ended up switching and never switched back. I'm going take a risk and say she probably doesn't want to see this unit ever again. Neither do I, but with me it will stay...probably forever...

No comments: