Monday, October 3, 2011

Wehaddababyitsa....

Does anyone remember that commercial from the 1990's for 1-800-COLLECT or some other collect call service?  In the commercial, the father saves money when calling family members from a payphone at the hospital to share the news of  their baby's birth..."Collect call from Mr. Wehadababyitsaboy"...

Well that is what we are going to be saying in February!  We found out last Wednesday at my first ultrasound that the baby is indeed a boy!  Hearing that news is one crazy moment...

I thought the ultrasound was fascinating except for that whole "full bladder" aspect.  I have heard that some women didn't have to have a full bladder for theirs.  I guess it depends on the hospital.  I was told to drink 30 ounces of water that morning and finish one hour before the appointment.  Whoever made that guideline doesn't know me...I could have drank  half of that water about 20 minutes before the appointment and had a full bladder.  The hospital is downtown so we walked about 2 blocks to the front entrance and I almost lost control.  I ended up going before the appointment anyway but it was fine...the technition could see it filling up again before her eyes during the appointment. 

Seeing those little bones and limbs was so reassuring (and made me realize even more how much I need to be consuming protein and calcium!).  All the parts were there and we even saw him point his little finger!  She had trouble getting a good shot of heart so there will be another ultrasound later.  I looke forward to seeing what the baby looks like then!  Right now it looks like Skeletor.  It weighed 8 ounces, although I have no idea how they can measure that! 

The regular monthly appointment that morning went fine.  The women's center is on the third floor of the building and there was a fire drill right after I finished depositing my montly urine sample.  We had to go down the fire escape.  Justin was one of only men on the floor!  After that the appointment continued as usual.  Fortunately, I was wearing my regular clothes and not a gown!  They estimated that I was 18 weeks along (now 19 weeks) and everything was fine.  The baby's heart was still making its whooshing sound...148 at the ultrasound and 160 at the appointment (the three flight stair climb might have had something to do with that!) and I am packing on the pounds and seeing numbers on that scale that I have never seen before! 

This weekend was NDSU's homecoming and there were many photos taken.  This shot made me realize how pregnant I am starting to look!  Yikes!  Don't worry...that is just water that I am drinking...that is all I drank all weekend...by Saturday night I was so tired of sipping water that I thought I never wanted to drink it again!  More about the weekend in a later post... 

No comments: