Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Homecoming Part 2

 The Saturday of Homecoming was quite a whirlwind.  I don't have many pictures because I was busy talking to people all day.  I posed for a few big group shots but they were on other people's cameras so I will have to wait for them to show up on Facebook to see them. 

When I was younger, after I turned 21 and the first few years I was out of undergrad, my friends and I always had a goal to go to the bar at 8 a.m. before the parade and other festivities.  We made it I think maybe one or two years.  Last year I remember getting up at 6:30 am and waking up everyone at Andrea's house and jumping on their beds until they wanted to murder me and also calling and texting everyone who wasn't there repeatedly until they got up.  This year, we finally gave up on the idea and instead planned to be at campus around 9 or 9:15.  We made it!  This lovely shot is me waiting for my ride with all of my friends' mugs that they had left in my car the night before. 

I should mention that Justin was not here.  He left after the ribbon cutting on Friday for a long planned trip.  So, although it may seem like I am focusing this whole post on my own activities, I am not disregarding him.  He wasn't there. 

The traditional brunch at KD was pretty good.  The cook there always makes some kind of egg dish, which is welcome after a night of little sleep.  I have never ventured to the fraternities brunches, but I have heard that there are alot of stale donuts so I think I will stick with KD's brunch.  Haha.  I spent alot of time at that house, more than most alumni probably would after graduation, because my sister lived there and after she moved out her friends still lived there.  Also, some of my friends who still lived in Fargo after I moved to Grand Forks were involved as alum advisors so I would go there with them sometimes.  Well, it's official...I am old now and no one there has any idea who I am!  I used the dorm bathrooms and walked into rooms like I still lived there and none of the girls had any idea who I was.  Roommate and I were up there together (she is a member of house corporation) and she heard me talking and started yelling "Rooooomate" from one of the bathroom stalls and a current member was getting ready and looked at us like we were crazy.  Hahaha. 

The parade was typical, kind of long and boring but liveable.  I used to go to that parade as a child with my brother and sister and my cousins.  It was in the days when the football games were still played outdoors and I remember it always being cold.  I have a specific memory of my cousin Brenna at the parade in her snowsuit!  After we went to our parents' houses my dad and my uncle would dissapear (I believe they were probably having drinks at the Turf or something like that) and my mom and my aunt would take us kids to McDonalds.  We would get Happy Meals.  Remember when in October the Happy Meal toy was not a toy at all but a pumkin or ghost shaped bucket intended for trick or treating?  Oh yeah, we got that!  Then, we would go back to my aunt and uncle's house where their neighbor's teenage daughter was waiting to babysit us for the rest of the day.  Fun times. 

Tailgating came next.  It was short but fun and the weather was perfect.  There were people to see and talk to everywhere.  I think I only got one beer down because I didn't have time to drink!  Which is probably a good thing.  I went to the football game in my dad's place because he had to stay home and work on the farm.  And we lost.  The homecoming game is supposed to be an easy team!  Before the D-1 days, it would always be Moorhead or some team like that and we would win 80-0.  I guess those days of dominance are over...Hahah. 

After tailgating I walked with my cousin Katie and her husband Adam to the Turf and we jostled our way to the bar to order some delicious food.  My sister and our friends were already on the way to being in the bag and some had even moved on to the next bar already.  Wow, I was behind! 

I finally met up with my "old" friends and soon we were indulging in our new homecoming tradition (I guess to replace the old 8am drinking one!).  Since Chub's doesn't serve food, we have started having pizza delivered there.  Hahaha.  Let me tell you, it really hits the spot! 

Another fun weekend.  I love football season. 

No comments: