Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween

Happy Halloween, everyone!  I'm hanging out by the front door tending to trick or treating kids.  It is my first time handing out candy!  During school I was always occupied with other activities on Halloween and there usually aren't alot of trick or treaters in apartments.  Last year, I was in Fargo because my sister had a Halloween party.  The first kids came around 5:30 (they must have an early bed time!) and there has been a slow stream ever since.  There have been fewer kids than I expected.  I think it might be because our street has alot of traffic and maybe people like to stay on quieter streets.  It has been fun.  Lots of polite kids.  One mom saw Allan in the window and said he was a beautiful cat because of his swirly fur pattern.  I held him so all the kids could pet him. 

I love Halloween costumes.  Some of my costumes from childhood include a now innapropriate fringed Indian costume, the ridiculous clown that I featured in my last post, a slice of pizza (oh, yeah, it was awesome), a dalmation dog, a fairy princess (I think most girls are a princess at least once!) a cheerleader, and a poodle skirt wearing 1950's girl.  I wanted to describe some of Justin's costumes from childhood, but he says he doesn't remember any of them.  If he was anything like my brother and my old classmates he was probably a vampire, a ninja turtle, some WWF wrestler, and every sort of athlete you can imagine.  I think my brother was a football player 2 or 3 times.  Last night I went out and dressed like a baseball player, with my Twins jersey, knee socks and eye black.  Not hte most original or mysterious costume, but my friend Mandy and I came up with the idea the night before Halloween and it was better than wearing something I had already worn.  This evening I put on my old hunter outfit that has been worn various times to various parties by various people throughout the years.   

Allan has a costume!  I bought it on clearance last year.  It is a pumpkin, if you can't tell.  It has a little hat and collar that fasten with velcro.  He doesn't like it.  I have been trying on occasion for the entire month of October to get a picture of him in it with very poor results.  Yesterday I managed to get this shot:

 Not too bad...He usually takes his paw and swipes that thing right off his head as soon as it is on. 

Me and my buddy!  He looks so happy, doesn't he?

MMMmmmm...candy...I am actually candied out after this weekend.  At my job on Friday there was a "candy bar" where we could fill little bags with many different kinds of candy and everyone had pumpkin buckets full of candy in their cube areas.  Then I arrived in Bismarck to be greeted with this bowl, overflowing with my favorites!  (I am out of control around Reese's peanut butter cups and Butterfingers).  I am so oversugared that I actually am craving something like celery or cucumbers. 

Enjoy the rest of Halloween everyone!

No comments: