Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Getting Bombed

The title of this post may lead you to believe that it will be a continuation of my tailgating post from yesterday but you would be wrong.  I think most people who read this live around where I live are listening to howling winds (extreme even for ND!) and unidentified bumps and crashes outside dark windows.  There is a strange sort of raging storm going on right now and it will be going on all day tomorrow as well.  According to the news it is huge and is effecting something like 1 million square miles in the U.S. and is being caused by record breaking low barometric pressure similar to that present during a category 3 hurricane.  Here up North, we will be seeing snow in the morning in combination with the wind and ice caused by borderline freezing temperatures. While we deal with that, there are tornadoes and thunderstorms in Southern areas.  On the news they called it a "bomb" which inspired my title.  So creative, I know! 

I get kind of excited by violent and extreme weather.  Well, I get excited as long as the weather is not going to ruin Christmas or the 4th of July or someone's wedding and as long as there is not a tornado aimed at a populated area.  Also, I don't get excited by the idea of hailstorms ruining my dad's crops or wrecking the shingles on my house.  But I love the electricity in the air before a severe thunderstorm.  I think it is a remnant from my lifeguarding days when the sight of lightning or a rumble of thunder required us to close early (Safety first!  Liquor store second!).  Also, who can resist the possibility of a day off from school or work because of a snowstorm (this was a much more common occasion back in the Class B world of small towns with alot of rural residents.  Nothing was more exciting than watching snow swirl outside the window of a classroom and having class interrupted by the principal's voice over the intercom announcing an early dismissal!)  And I love unusual phenomenon such as this low pressure thing that is going on now.  I would have loved that Christmas blizzard last year if it hadn't been on Christmas!

Who knows what tomorrow will bring?  The first day out on the roads with snow can be a scary day!

Here are some pictures from more serene days a few weeks ago when I was in Bis...I have been waiting to show off my pumpkins...

Pumpkins and flowers...


I have enjoyed having the annuals blooming during their extra long season...it hasn't  frozen (until now) so they had a good life this summer.


I love mini pumpkins!

I have mentioned this before, but we used to plant a big pumpkin patch on the farm every year.  A few times in the rotation it landed in the "pasture" which is in sight of our house.  It was really fun for us as children and there were so many pumpkins that grew that my parents let everyone in town help themselves for no charge!  The churches were decked out and so was the nursing home.  One year my grandma and my great aunt came from MN and they tried to bring so many home that they overloaded their car and had to leave a few behind! 

The elementary school used to come for a visit so each kid could get a pumpkin and I was so happy to show off what a cool amenity we had at my house!  This picture shows my parents with one of the classes in the background. 

Here is a pretty sweet shot where you can really see the volume! 

No comments: