Monday, August 23, 2010

Oh, Allan!

I was just about to start writing about something else when I heard a noise in the kitchen. At first I thought the scrubber in the sink had fallen over but then I remembered...I had left a little tealight canlde burning on the counter. I got it as a free sample from a PartyLite saleswoman and was supposed to burn it and then answer some survey questions. Candles have proven to be a bad choice around Allan in the past because he stares at the flame and his whiskers get singed (seriously) so I haven't burned one in months.

Well, he got into this one and now there is wax splattered on the counter. I don't care about that, though. The poor kitten has wax on the bottom of his paw and I think he might have burned himself! And of course he won't let me hold him long enough to try to remove it. He is just sitting in the corner, licking obsessively. I'm sorry, kitten! You didn't know wax was hot! :(

Today was my uncle Gale's 55th birthday! Happy birthday! I thought I'd mention it because 55 is a mini-milestone birthday, and also because I have this funny picture in my stash. I mostly like how that cat is sitting and looking like it is running the show. There is a whole series of the "Skjo Bros." taken on this day and they all have this cat who is just draped over their trikes and in their arms. So cute!

I'm not sure when this was taken...probably in 1958?



Oh, look, kitty! A baby Tim!
My dad has always talked about his favorite cat from his childhood. They called him Harmon Killebrew because he would stand by 1st base when he and Gale were out playing baseball in the yard on the farm. He was white with dark "cow" spots and he must have been a good coach because they both became good players. Tim became a regular high school home run hitter and Gale pitched at NDSU after high school. I just researched the real Harmon Killebrew online and he was, apparently, a very kind and quiet guy even though he was a huge star. If that was the case, he would probably find this story amusing and cute like I do.

No comments: