Friday, April 1, 2011

Quilts!

Happy April Fool's Day!  I tried to think of some lie to write on here and then reveal that it was a joke but I couldn't think of anything very funny.  Sorry to dissapoint. 

I had some spare time yesterday and today and I finished assembling the top of my current quilt in progress!  This is my first "big" quilt that is not a t-shirt quilt and it is huge!  It is 84 inches long and 64 inches wide. 


The patterened fabrics were purchased in a pre-cut bundle and they all came from the same line.  This line seems to have been discontinued except for a few remnants on some websites so I had to find an alternantive that didn't look completely odd with the rest of the quilt.  Also, I wanted something cheap since the brand of the prints, Moda, is generally expensive at around $10.00 per yard.  Fortunately I found this...

Yes, those are cats!  Haha.  The blue actually matches perfectly with the blue in the quilt so that is the main reason I chose this.  And, of course, I like cats. 

The buzz around the Internet and Facebook today is that it is the first Twins baseball game of the season!  We are going to a game next weekend at Target field with a big group of people from my hometown!  We are staying in a hotel within walking distance of the stadium and other downtown Minneapolis attractions and I look forward to it!  On top of that, UND is playing in the hockey Frozen Four that same weekend in downtown St. Paul so ND people will be infiltrating!  This weekend could become a disaster!

In other exciting news, my birthday is next week and today I recieved an email from Ancestry.com that I had been given a gift membership!  My dad thought of the idea.  For years I have been interested in history in general and also family history and geneology.  I don't really talk about it because no one else really cares!  It is not something most people my age are interested in.  I don't remember why it started but it began when I was in middle school.  I am fascinated by the huge families people used to have and the way people can be connected.  Also, I love to imagine the experience of becoming new Americans and how we all came to be here. 

I spent about an hour on the site right after I recieved my gift and already found some new information.  The database had the World War I draft registry cards of two of my great grandfathers scanned!  I could see the images filled in with their own handwriting in 1918!  I have the membership for 6 months so maybe I will start another with to record my adventures in geneology.  I will probably password it so I can use full names and such.  They say (whoever "they" are) that you should not use identifying information on the internet for security purposes and I guess that is wise advice.  That is why I don't use last names and am vague about places.  So, I will let you know if I do! 

No comments: