Monday, April 11, 2011

Opening Weekend (Spring Version)

It was hard to overlook the start of the MLB season this last week.  It was all over Facebook and my MSN homepage.  Over the weekend we were able to go to a MN Twins game for their home opening games!  It was even better because we sat in a box seat!  Oooh that was fun...I don't know if I ever want to go back to the old way of sitting in a regular seat!  Justin and I went to a game at Target Field last summer and he went to two more games without me so it was not our first time there.  We have both been to many events at the poor, old, unloved Metrodome, with its sad deflated roof and its teams abandoning it one by one. 

I used to think Twins games were pretty boring as a kid, mostly because the novelty wore off after a few innings and I can't say I was a baseball fiend in those days.  When I was 16 I went on a high school trip to Chicago and went to a game at Wrigley Field which I thought was very enjoyable even though the week we spent in Chicago was one of record breaking temperatures and it was really hot out.  Outdoor games are a different atmosphere and the atmoshpere is even better now that I am of age and can drink some beer! 

My family was on this trip, as well as a group of nearly 80 people of all ages from my hometown.  We had two boxes with the door opened between them and everyone stayed at a hotel a few blocks from the stadium.  I have to say that it might be hard for me to go back to viewing baseball games in the stands like everyone else!  The boxes had their own bathrooms and hot dogs and popcorn easily accessible.  Also, our view was excellent and there were heat lamps to warm to chilly April evening. 

As we approached the stadium we came upon this statue of Harmon Killebrew and thought my dad should pose with him since one of his childhood barn cats was named Harmon Killebrew because the cat would sit by first base when he and my uncle were playing baseball in the yard on the farm in the 60's.  I think I have told the story before on here.  He reluctantly agreed.  I almost expected a white and black Holstein patterned cat to appear in the picture at their feet!

This was taken right after we arrived.  

Some people stay really focused on the game!  I was more focused on talking to people!  If you can't tell, that is Kirk, Justin and Pete from left to right. 

The opponents were the Oakland A's and I thought this guy's name was awesome...Coco Crisp.  I can't say I am familiar with his work but he must be an OK player. 

When the Twins score the two characters on the sign, who represent Minneapolis and St. Paul, shake hands.  Sadly, the Twins lost 1-0 so we didn't get to see it this time!

This was taken before the game.  You can see I still have my stadium beer in a glass and not the cans that we had in the box.  

We took a nice family photo after the game as everyone was finishing the provisions in the box!  We rarely take a photo like this so I'm glad we did. 

The game was only half of my weekend.   My mom and Andrea and I left on Friday morning (the game was on Saturday night) and shopped.  Our reciept at the Gap factory store at Albertville looked like a receipt from a weekly trip to buy groceries for the Duggar family (the ones on TV with 19 kids).  And Albertville was just the beginnng. 

No comments: