Thursday, April 14, 2011

I Am Obsessed With This

The Internet has been buzzing with this fun item lately...It is a live feed of a family of Eagles that live on a preserve in Decorah, Iowa.  They have been showing the live footage since before the babies hatched from their eggs.  You can find footage of key moments on the main website.  I haven't caught anything crazy yet, but sometimes the parents (there is a mom and dad eagle) bring fresh prey, such as fish and bunnies, into the nest.  The footage is visible at night because of some special lights.  There is quite a bit of information on the website about the details. 

http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

It is so cute how they are all snuggled up in the nest!  One of the parents is always there and they look adorable but also so dignified.  I never really thought much about eagles until I saw a show on Animal Planet a few years ago that featured an eagle that was having surgery to remove cataracts from its eyes.  Now I think they are kind of fascinating. 


These are a few stills photos I found.  Those little fuzballs on the right are the babies!  They look so different as adults!  I appreciate how both male and female eagles are attractive, unlike most birds.  The females are usually plain looking!

I have also been obsessed with the song "Old Haunts" by the Gaslight Anthem.  I went to their concert last fall.  There is a verse in "Old Haunts" that says...

"And with the window down, I hear your tired now,
you borrowed everything and wore all your old welcomes out,
Well, shame on you my love, you sold your youth away..."

That verse jumped out at me and made me wonder if Brian Fallon, the lead singer and songwriter, had a failed relationship with a woman who had a pile of student loans, mediocre job prospects, and was overstaying her welcome in a family members' basement.  It's almost too perfect!  Haha!  Seriously, though, music is such a good friend sometimes! 

No comments: