Wednesday, October 28, 2009

"In the Garage"

"In the garage, I feel safe, no one cares about my ways..."

That is from the Weezer song "In the Garage" from 1994.
At the moment, Justin is out in our garage with Webster and our nieghbor Scott tearing out a wall that created a little room called the "party room" in the listing for the house. It is a little, panelled enclosure with a wall of windows and purple lilac print curtains. I imagine the previous owners must have enjoyed having friends over to play cards or games like so many people (my grandparents come to mind) from previous generations did. I kind of liked the room, but like Justin says, a garage can be a party room on its own if you want it to be!


There! The sheetrock is off!


This was a long shelf that hung along the wall on the garage side of the party room. Apparently the previous owner had access to old railroad crossing signs because the shelf was pretty long and made of several! We hadn't noticed this before because the side with the writing faced up.


The garage is full of the original cabinets from the kitchen. Even the spinning shelved lazy susan corner cabinet is out there! I think they are pretty sweet! I love the 1950's boomerang handles, and the countertops also have a boomerang pattern. I'm glad they saved them when the remodelled the kitchen! Part of me wishes they still were in the kitchen! Unfortunately, my nostalgic taste doesn't apply to everyone...

Allan is doing fine...it's been two weeks since he's joined us! He is very sweet and cuddly. He has spurts of energy where he bolts around and charges up and down the stairs, but he is generally very good. He is getting VERY curious though. . . this evening I was cleaning the kitchen sink with some Mr. Clean and I could hear him thumping around and I thought he was in the living room. When I opened the cabinet under the sink to put the Mr. Clean away, he was under there! I had closed the door on him and he didn't even make a sound! He must have been playing or something. I also caught him trying to open cabinets with his paws. . . it's only a matter of time. . . hopefully he realizes it is boring under there and forgets about it before we have to get baby-proofing cabinet locks!

No comments: