Friday, October 16, 2009

Allan's Lucky Day

We finally "took the plunge" and did something we've been thinking about and talking about for over a year...we got a cat! On Thursday, Justin revealed to me that he has been taking the necessary steps at the Humane Society (filling out the paperwork and spending the required hours) to adopt a four month old orange and white kitten. He brought him home yesterday and it has been quite an adventure!

First of all, he is very nice and very playful. He purrs nonstop whenever a person is around. He starts purring as soon as he is in the presense of a person. He purrs when he is falling asleep. He purrs when he plays. He also is constantly kneading with his cute little paws. He is laying next to me right now kneading the side of my leg and purring.

I feel like a brought a baby home. I am nervous about doing everything right. I don't know if he's eating and drinking enough or too much. We put him in the basement to sleep last night and I could hardly sleep all night worrying if he was scared or lonely or if he was sleeping at all. When I leave the house I worry that he will get into something or fail to use his litter box (which hasn't happened yet.) I am trying to get him to use a big, expensive scratching post I bought by sprinkling catnip on it because I am worried he will start scratching the furniture if he gets bored (also something he hasn't done much of yet.)

Last night, he was skittish and kind of hyper but still friendly. Today he has been playful part of the time and sweet and cuddly for part of the time. This afternoon he napped in my lap and purred for an hour at a time. When I would get up he would run around briefly and come back as soon as I sat down. After my sleepless night I took a rare nap for 1/2 hour and he slept next to me on the couch the whole time! However, he also has a penchant for my computer cord and tried to get at my sandwich when I sat down to eat lunch. I guess I'll have to stop eating on the couch!


He was born in the Humane society and shared a cage with his brother. We have been trying to introduce him to the house a few rooms at a time so he doesn't get overwhelmed. I hope he likes it here and will adjust quickly. The last few days remind me of a commercial on the Animal Planet channel for some pet food that also encourages adoption that shows a dog or cat in a cage in a shelter, and says "it is (name of pet)'s lucky day!" and shows them going to a home where they can run play and lounge in the sunlight.




He immediately started using these trees as toys and I had to put them up high! They are irrisistible, I admit!

No comments: