Monday, October 12, 2009

Someone Else's House For Once

I had intended to discuss not only our house but also other new homeowners' house related projects and adventures when I started writing this. So far, I've been mostly self-centered...until now!

My sister Andrea and her husband Kirk bought a house in February of 2009. They got a newer house (new=built in the 90's), so they didn't have to do the same amount of work or the same kind of work as we have been doing. However, they recently made a very fun improvement in their basement. They built a bar!

This photo was taken when Kirk and a friend were tiling the sides. When they started, the room was all carpeted. They put laminate under the bar and hung the shelves on the wall. The bar now has a counter of course, and some second hand bar stools. (Andrea and I both like to scrounge for cheap and/or old items.)

This weekend I visited them and they were doing something we also did before we moved in. They rented an insulation spraying machine and added extra insulation to their garage. We did this back in August and, on the recomendation of the inspector, added several extra inches to our attic. It is a gross, nasty job and Andrea ended up assisting. When we did this, I was just a bystander although I did get a lung full of the insulation dust a few times. I'm so glad Andrea wore a mask even though the result is a hilarious and scary looking picture!

No comments: