Monday, August 8, 2011

TV Stand Turmoil

When we moved into the house and bought a new flat screen TV to replace the 300 pound behemouth that we had before we didn't have a TV stand.  What we did have was an antique chest of drawers that we had at my house when I was growing up.  I don't even know where it came from.  It is a strange piece of furniture that is a bit taller than a coffee table but much shorter than a dresser that you would use for clothing.  This odd height makes it the perfect height for a TV!  The wood has a bleached look to it and it has a funky, rustic look to it which I like to pair with the more modern furnishings in the house.  I like a mixture of furniture and decor...pre-matched things seem too easy! 

It was meant to be a temporary solution until we found something we liked more.  Then, Justin was going to move it to his rustic, outdoors themed basement living room, where it would also fit right in. 

This weekend we went to some local furniture stores to look for a replacement, and it was frustrating to me.  Everything seemed generic and not my style at all.  My style has been influenced by years of wistfully paging through Pottery Barn catalogues and design magazines, which don't feature anything that you could buy at Slumberland.  Eeeh, why am I drawn to expensive things?  It doesn't even have to be expensive...I just would like things that don't look like the same thing everyone else has from Target or Conlins...so I guess I will keep looking and the TV will just stay where it is!  I don't really want to deal with the piles of crap in the drawers anyway! So take that Slumberland!

Here are some examples of what I might like...the first four are from Pottery Barn.  I am so devoted to Pottery Barn, although I believe that real high end designers might think of it with distain the way I think of other furniture stores...but for regular people I can't imagine who wouldn't like it!

Cheswick Media Stand, Mahogany stain

Winslow Long Media Stand

Ok, so this is way too long for our living room but LOOK at it!  Look at all the room for books!

Rhys TV Stand, Large, Espresso stain

Once again, this whole set is way too big but that middle piece would work...I love the file cabinet details on those middle drawers. 

Barrett Media Stand, French White

This is just cute...

These next two are from Restoration Hardware and would cost around $2,000 with tax and shipping....sigh...

Shutter Low Cabinet

It looks like shutters!


I love this thing...it is a "Printmaker's cabinet", which is a fixture in old architecture offices and artists studios...lovely.  I will keep dreaming on!

No comments: