Wednesday, June 15, 2011

New Furniture!

Recently, my aunt and uncle sold their big two story house to move into a one story condo (with as much square footage as the two story!) and decided to pass on their dining room set.  The set used to belong to my great grandparents so they wanted to keep it in the family.  The brand or design, or whatever you call it, is Duncan Phyfe. Duncan Phyfe was an American furniture designer who passed away in the 1850s.  He was one of the first furniture makers to mass produce furniture in his workshop in New York City.  By mass produce I mean that he had a factory that employed about 100 people!  He combined simple designs with classical elements such as lyres and claw feet and his name became synonymous with a whole style of furniture such as the new set in my possession! 

I was excited to have this set passed on to me.  It not only includes the dining room table and chairs, but also the china cabinet and buffet.  Unfortunately, it is being stored for now because I don't have a dinign room in my house! 

Here is the cabinet.  I cannot wait to have my bright colored Fiestaware and Lenox Mediterra dishes behind that glass!

This is the buffet.  It has a lined drawer for fancy silverware!
The chairs have lyre ornaments on the backs, which are a typical Duncan Phyfe feature.  The chair seats are worn but I can easily fix that with some new fabric! 

On another topic, I will be away for a few days because I am going to Las Vegas!  I cannot wait to feel that hot desert air!  It is so dry there that my hair goes straight and it feels so good!

No comments: