Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Oooh! Fabric!

My job has been really slow lately so we have been on "standby" so far this week.  This means that we don't have to be at work but we still get paid.  It is mostly awesome, except that we have to be able to get there in 30 minutes if something comes up so I can't sit at home with Allan.  I have to stay in Fargo. 

With some of my free time I stopped by a specialty quilting store near my hometown and indulged myself with this bundle of precut fabrics from the company called Moda.  The designers that design fabric for Moda make collections that are so lovely/cute/beautiful that they fill me with inspiration for all the things I want to make in the future!  Actually, that happens to me in any fabric store.  The good thing about Moda is that the collections are coordinated to make it easier to choose fabric combinations.  They also sell pre-cut fabrics in different denominations.  The bundles are named after baked goods, such as jelly rolls and honey buns!  They have a good website called the Moda Bake Shop that features patterns and combinations for using the goods to make quilts and other projects.  It is one of my favorites!

The store I visited today carried Moda products!  Chain stores such as Hancock and JoAnn don't carry it so it is a special find.  I was kind of distainful of pre-cut fabric (it seems like buying the fabric already cut takes out part of the experience).  I admit though, hunching over the cutting board is not my favorite experience so I couldn't resist buying this roll of fabric called a "layer cake".  A layer cake contains 40 squares, each of a different fabric, that measure 10x10 inches. 


Oooh, these fabrics are so bright and cheerful!  The colors included are yellow, two shades of aqua, green, two shades of pink, and coral. 

I love that bird print!

I bought some yellow fabric (cheap, not from Moda!) for the supplemental fabric and have started cutting.  I will post photos when I have something to show. 

The quilt shop was a great place.  I also bought a few other pieces for a future project.  It was very hard to contain myself from buying more but in those situations I have to think about what I am actually going to do with a fabric before I buy it! 

No comments: