Monday, November 9, 2009

Hunting

This weekend Justin and I both went to Eastern North Dakota for the deer rifle season opening weekend. He's actually still there until Veteran's Day.

It was a beautiful fall weekend that reminded me of some reasons why I miss Eastern North Dakota. Yes, I know Bismarck is not far from the "Valley", and it has a lot of aspects that I appreciate (less wind, generally warmer weather, more topography). But Eastern ND is still home and the connection will never be cut, regardless of where I am!

I headed home to Hatton on Thursday because I hadn't been there for awhile, and on Friday I went to meet Justin in Lankin, ND, which is North and West of Grand Forks. The first aspect that made me feel so at home was the familiar vibrations of agriculture that basically fill the air when harvest is going on. Although it is hard work, the energy can be felt by everyone and it has always been in the background as my life progressed since we moved to Hatton. In Fargo, I went to NDSU, so agriculture was always an influence in addition to the fact that there are still some farm fields still being planted in between developments and stores since Fargo is growing and sprawling fast. In Grand Forks, semi trucks hauling beets and the smell of Simplot were a constant presence, and when harvest started, the smell of wheat (a good smell, in my opinion) and dust permeated the town. I didn't realize I missed it until I was away from it. Harvest is behind this year, and the weather has been adequate so the farmers are trying to finish. At each town I drove through once I left the interstate, trucks were lined up, sometimes through the whole length of the town, at the elevators waiting to drop off their cargo. Combines and trucks rumbled by (or I guess I zoomed by them!) on every road. In the cabs, I could see the drivers dressed in blaze orange caps, sweatshirts and jackets because not only is harvesting on their mind but also deer hunting is on their mind!

Deer hunting season also exudes vibrations of excitement. I have always been amused by the way some people (almost exclusively men, at least in my experience) can talk about deer and hunting for hours. During rifle season, it makes me laugh to myself to see two or three guys squeezed into a pickup wearing their hunting clothes.

Although I don't actually shoot, I usually participate, at least for opening weekend, every year (or I have since I met Justin, anyway). I believe it the 7th year that I have been in Lankin for this weekend. I love eating junk food all weekend, walking around oustide (especially if it's nice out!) and heading to the crowded, cozy bar after dark to see the deer that were shot that day and indulge in several drinks surrounded by people wearing orange. We wake up before the sun comes up to drive around looking for deer that might be walking around as daylight comes.

If you know Justin, you know that he loves this time of year. He loves to go to Lankin (Lankin is where is dad grew up and where his relatives still live) for hunting and prepares for it like I prepare for trips out of the country or my wedding.

Here is a picture of Justin is his natural habitat. As of right now, I haven't heard that he has shot his buck, but he shot a doe/fawn with a tiny pin head this weekend! It's OK though, those are good to eat! It was a good weekend with great weather (I didn't even have to wear my coveralls!) and I didn't want it to end on Sunday.

No comments: