Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Halloween1N1

I know it has passed, but I am going to write about Halloween. . .

I love Halloween, mostly because I love costumes. Oh, the fun! The options are endless!

I have fond memories (and fortunately no digital pictures!) of my childhood costumes. My mom could conjure up any costume we wished for. One year in the early years of elmentary school (Kindargarten, I believe, because we lived in Wyoming at the time) I wanted to be a dog. Not just any dog, though, a dalmation! She sewed me a white suit with block spots sewn all over it! It had this hood thing for the head with aunthentic-looking dalmation years that stood up at hte bottom and flopped over at the top. That's some crazy costume making. Of course, Andrea's used the same sewing pattern but she was a pink cat. Pink-the most common color for a cat! A family classic is the photo where Andrea and I were clowns, wearing one piece suits with huge fluffy yarn pom poms on the front. Seeing that picture makes me burst out laughing! (Pete dodged that bullet by not being born yet!) In first grade I wanted to be a pizza. Yes, like the food. Don't ask me why. It was done, with a big cardboard triangle, rolled up brown grocery bags for the crust, and fiberfill quilt filling for the cheese. So what if I couldn't sit down. . .That is just a sampling of my favorites. I tried to coerce Justin into telling about his favorite costumes, but he says he can't remember any of them. . .I'll have to look into that more thoroughly!

This year, I was a "Gold digger". It was not my original idea (I saw some other ladies do it last year at a bar) but I added my own twist. They had big, full sized shovels painted gold, and I instead used a child's beach set spray painted gold. I had the shovel hanging from gold christmas tree beads around my neck, and I carried the bucket. Not suprisingly, I lost it somewhere in downtown Fargo. It is just a small part of the trail of Halloween costume debris that littered the streets, bars, and taxis that night. . .I also made a veil out of gold tulle. This all matched a very cheap looking gold dress that I sewed the morning of Halloween without a pattern.

Andrea and Kirk and a Halloween party and their house, which they named "Halloween1N1". Andrea bought some mouth syringe things at a livestock supply store so the guests could have "vaccines" of a special type of punch. Very nice. Kirk had one of my favorite costumes of the night. He was Cousin Eddy from the "Vacation" movies. He chose the incarnation where Eddy is out on the curb in a bathrobe emptying his RV toilet in "Christmas Vacation". On Sunday morning, he put it back on and made a theatrical production of sautering out to the mailbox while pretending to smoke a cigar!


This is a sampling of their party decor. That deer looks like it wants its dignity back!

I took Allan to the vet on Tuesday for a shot. He was suprisingly good! In my experience, cats don't like the car, but I think he might have fallen asleep on the drive to the office (which is about four minutes from our house)! He didn't get scared during his exam, and before I knew it, he was getting a shot and he didn't make a sound or even squirm! I brought him home and he went to sleep right away.


Here he is looking out the window. I love his orange face stripes!

No comments: