Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Exterior Illumination

Thanksgiving is in a few weeks, and I've been thinking about Christmas decorations, especially for outside! Another house on our street has put up lights already. (They haven't turned them on. I think they were just trying to do it while it was still nice out). We don't have any outdoor decorations because when everything was on clearance last year in January, we weren't even thinking about buying a house yet. I really don't like the idea of paying full price for any holiday paraphrenalia, so I decided to get resourceful.

On Monday, I went on the thrift store circuit and found some pretty great deals! I bought a box of large outoor lights, two boxes of blue pearl lights, and 12 large plastic ornaments that I plan on hanging in the tree in the front yard. I also bought a candle made of lights for the living room windown. All of this was obtained for $12.00. The lights were in boxes that looked battered, but they obviously haven't been used because there is no way to get them back into their plastic holders so perfectly!


Here is a sampling of what I bought. There was a very large assortment at the second hand stores. I would advise anyone to go to a thrift store if they need garland, beads, or lights. There were also alot of oudtoor items. There were multiples of the candle and the store also had the matching wreaths and red bows from the same "line". I chose the candle because it looks like the old light pole decorations Hatton used to have during my childhood. (They have been replaced by wreathes and French Horns with bows on them.)
I also found a special present for Allan for 25 cents. . .
I couldn't leave this in the store! The ornaments kind of made me sad at the thrift stores. . .most of them were probably given with thought and now they are discarded. . .at least this one will have a new life on the tree!

No comments: