Sunday, September 4, 2011

We're Having a Baby!

Sooo...there has been something I have not mentioned since...oh...June 29...on that day I found out that I am pregnant! We are having a baby!  Allan will have a human sibling!  I think alot of people who read this know already because many people do. For example, our family members know and so does anyone who has tried to do any activity or attend any event that involves alcoholic beverages with me.  My cousin Katie knew within two seconds when she offered me a drink before we went to a dance over the 4th of July weekend.  The positive result came right before the 4th of July weekend, which included big family get togethers and also my 10 year class reunion so word got out pretty early, before the typical first trimester secrecy window.

I think people might have been surprised that we decided to give up the selfish, freedom-loving lifestyle that we have enjoyed during the first four years of our marriage.  And, it is true, I did love those days of doing whatever I want and am enjoying my last months of them, even without the beer swilling and rollerblading and tight jeans that I enjoyed so much before. 

It all started for me when my 28th birthday approached in April.  I realized I would be in my mid 40's before I ever saw a child of ours play in a high school sports game.  When in stores, cute baby outfits started catching my eye when I would usually not be too interested in that section.  So I told Justin we should think about stopping preventative measures and so I stopped and less than 2 months later, unknown to me for the first month, and to my shock, it came to pass! 

Everyone has asked if we are finding out the gender and the answer is....we don't know yet!  That appointment will take place at the end of September so stand by...Also, everyone asks how I have been feeling.  I am delighted to say that I didn't have a single vomiting incident although there were a few days that felt like a hangover, with headaches and fatigue that made work a huge drag.  For about a month I had lower back pain that would shoot down the back of my right leg but it has been better lately.  Also, I have had some digestive...ummm...issues...I won't go into details to spare any men out there (I would spare women but every woman I have spoken to has had no problem discussing every aspect of pregnancy in detail and it is a big relief!  You really can tell another woman anything about pregnancy, especially one who has been pregnant, and they won't even flinch!) but I thought I should mention that because I don't want to be one of those people who hides problems and tries to make everything seem perfect.  But anyway, overall, the dreaded first trimester wasn't too bad.  The beer ban and caffeine cutback has not been fun but I know those things will still be around on the other side!  Now I am two weeks into the second trimester and my clothes are getting tight and I almost wish I would just pop out already so people know for sure I am pregnant and not just packing on pounds! 

Oh, and the official due date is February 15th or 16th, depending on the calculator.  The Dr. says the 16th and babycenter.com says the 15th.  I hope there isn't a blizzard on whatever day it happens to land on! 

I have several months worth of stories about this that I have been sitting on and I will try to incorporate them into later posts.  Also, I will try not to make this whole thing a big pregnancy and baby fest.  By this I mean that I will try not to completely forget about poor Allan!

He thinks he is our baby!  I bought this baby bathtub at a garage sale a few weeks ago and after I had cleaned it up and washed the seat cover he made himself at home!  It was pretty cute.  He loves to snuggle into small spaces.  I was pretty excited to find that tub!  It cost $1 and was at an older ladies house.  She said she had bought it when her grandaughter was visiting for a few weeks and so it only got used during those few weeks.  Like new!  It meets my qualifications for a second hand purchase...non upholstered and able to be laundered or sanitized.  I am sad that rummage sale season is coming to an end! 

2 comments:

Dana said...

Congrats Maren! I also had the shooting pain that would start in my hip and go down my leg with every step...the entire pregnancy...and in my third trimester I looked like I had some serious problems while walking (I'll spare everyone else, but if you would like more information I'd be glad to tell). Got to go...baby just burped and spit up all over my hand.

Maren said...

Haha Dana that is funny! At least he didn't spit up on the keyboard!