Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day

I have so much to tell about...I got some new furniture, I have finished quilts to show off, and my town is in emergency mode because of impending floodwaters.  I will talk about that in the next few days.  For today, I will observe Memorial Day.  I used to play Taps on my trumpet at the city Memorial Day service when I was in high school and I think the simple melody is very beautiful (especially when played by someone else)!  I remember reading the poetic lyrics in a Memorial Day newspaper years ago so I looked them up again for your enjoyment: 

Day is done, gone the sun,

From the hills, from the lake,
From the sky.
All is well, safely rest,
God is nigh.

Go to sleep, peaceful sleep,
May the soldier or sailor,
God keep,
On the land or the deep,
Safe in sleep.

Love, good night, Must thou go,
When the day, And the night
Need thee so?
All is well. Speedeth all
To their rest.

Fades the light; And afar
Goeth day, And the stars
Shineth bright,
Fare thee well; Day has gone,
Night is on.

Thanks and praise, For our days,
'Neath the sun, Neath the stars,
'Neath the sky,
As we go, This we know,
God is nigh.

In observance of Memorial Day I am going to share these cool scanned records I found on Ancestry.com.  They are WWI draft registration cards belonging to two of my great grandfathers.  Neither ended up being drafted as far as I know.  Gustav turned 18 just as the war was coming to an end and Carl was in his late 30's in 1918.  I also added two that I found from Justin's side of the family after a quick Ancestry search (In intend to look further into his family tree after I make more progress with my side and get some more starting information from him).  There are more records out there but I will spare everyone...each person has 4 great grandfathers so that would get excessive! 


I showed this record to my dad (Gustav was his grandfather) and he noticed Gustav's very nice penmanship (an usual trait for any men in the family and also many females including myself!)  I find these records very interesting because they say what the person did for a living they also include physical aspects such as eye color and height. There is even a box to designate if the person was bald or not!  I wonder what that had to do with fitness to serve... 

Carl is my mom's grandfather.

Adolph is Justin's dad's grandfather.

Carl is Justin's dad's other grandfather. 

As I said, I don't think my relatives fought in WWI and I am not sure if Justin's did but it reasurring to know that they were willing to serve if asked.  Most of the people I found records for had brothers that went with them to sign up on the same day.  Maybe they had a nice day off from work and stopped at the Draft Office and then had a drink and maybe looked at whatever farm machinery was available at the time!  Or maybe they stopped at a store and drooled over hunting rifles like Justin and his friends and cousins like to do.  Or maybe they were more solemn because the idea of getting drafted scared the crap out of them.  Who knows!

So...I hope everyone is having a peaceful and enjoyable Memorial Day.  My weekend in Bismarck has not been that way...more about that later!

P.S. I just previewed the post and realized that the images are too large to fit on the page...if anyone wants to read them in full click on the image to open it!

No comments: