Thursday, July 28, 2011

Oslo

This happened last week, but I am just getting around to mentioning it now...I have been troubled by the recent violence in Norway.  Most of you probably know that I studied in the beautiful city of Oslo during the summer of 2006.  Well, I say I was studying.  There was alot of other nonsense going on between classes!  I remember it very clearly and will never forget those streets and the favorite bars, restaurants, and parks that we visited.  There are bombings and shootings in some unstable countries on a regular basis but thinking of it happening in Oslo is very hard to imagine.  I scrutinized the pictures of the scene of the bombing, looking at the backgrounds to look for familiar landmarks and I saw places I recognized.  On the news I saw footage of the huge memorial that has formed in front of the Oslo Cathedral, a place where royalty is married and a place that I walked by several times a day on the way to and from our school.  I recognized the elaborate entrance at the front. 

There I am as a  23 year old...I can't believe it has been that long!  I haven't really been thinking thoughts about what it would have been like if I had been there...I have thinking about that peaceful city in chaos and of course of the people I met there and the Norwegians who came to study at UND that I met in the U.S.  As far as I know from Facebook they are all safe along with their families. 

I know the city will recover and I will go there again someday!

No comments: