Wednesday, February 24, 2010

We Have a Snow Issue!

I was at my parents' house recently and there is so much snow around there that I can't believe it. We moved to the farm right after I turned 8 and now I am almost 27 and I have never seen snow like that in my life. My mom remembers it being like that in 1997, but I don't. (Probably because I was in 8th grade and not driving and worrying about its removal yet!)

This is a photo of the North side of the farm and a notorious drifting area. Usually my dad ends up clearing it himself because it takes so long for the county to attend to it and it becomes impassable. On the left is a very deep ditch that has a very slanted shoulder. If you stand in it with no snow you can't see over the road. It is filled completely with snow and the snow is higher than the road. The passage is so wide because of the rare appearance of a bulldozer clearing the way for the school bus. I can't wait to see what a mess this will turn into in a few weeks!
The snow situation is getting pretty crazy in Bismarck as well, although it is not as bad as in Eastern ND. Our front yard has snow piled waist high, and our neigbor has a snow pile in front of his house that is about as tall as his house! Our lots are pretty narrow, so there aren't alot of places to put it! The yard looks really bad because the Christmas decorations are still up and the ornaments are looking faded and rejected. The tree is not accessible at the moment, thought, so they will have to stay until the snow melts!
Justin started a new project yesterday. Its a workbench in the basement! He says he needs to reinforce it more and add a shelf above and below. I wonder what he will be working on down there?

No comments: