Tuesday, February 16, 2010

How Allan Spends His Time

Allan is now 8 months old and is getting more and more grown up. Well. . .kind of. He still likes to play but not as much as he did when we first adopted him. During those early months he would play constantly with anything he could find. Lately he just plays fetch like a dog. His cousin Izzy the white fluffy dog gave him some small mice with little weights in them for Christmas that are good for throwing and batting around. He will bring a mouse to me when I'm sitting on the couch, drop it, and jump down to the floor. Then he will stare with expectation until I toss the mouse. He will chase it and repeat. I had to buy him some new mice because he destroyed the first three already.
In the guest bedroom there is a window with a bush outside of it right up against the glass. Most days it is full of little fluffy birds. These birds are the most fascinating things in the world to Allan. He loves staring out the window at the birds with his tail twitching with the intention of a serious predator. The poor little guy still has his hunting instincts. At least he gets to play fetch!

I snuck up on him! You can't see the birds in this photo but they were there!


Speaking of birds, this little bird house is attached to the deck in our back yard. It was a bright sunny day this morning and I noticed that it was being used by the little birds that also hang out in the bush! There were three of them perched on it. Our little neighbors! I appologize for the picture. I forgot to rotate when I uploaded it so it is sideways. I also took it from inside the house and didn't catch it when there were perching birds.

I grew up on a farm and we had many cats and kittens over the years. We also had a creek in our yard that frequently hosted ducks. Someone in the family (not me, as far as I can remember) compared the way cats sometime sit, with their paws curled under them, to the way ducks look when they are floating. Allan often assumes the "duck" position and I had to make a photo opportunity when Justin brought home this duck decoy (I'm not sure where it came from because Justin doesn't hunt ducks!) Sorry that Allan's eye looks weird in the picture. . .strange things happen to his eyes in photos!

No comments: