Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Allan's Vet Visit

Today is Tessa's birthday but I will post about that tomorrow after she opens her presents from us tonight.  She already had a few cakes and some presents this weekend but we have to do something on her actual birthday.  At this time three years ago I was annoyed because I was supposed to get induced at 7:00 a.m. but the told me they didn't have room so we had to wait around all day.  We got the call at 3:00 p.m. and she arrived at 8:19 p.m. so it all worked out.  That sure is a disappointment though, when you get up early and are mentally prepared and then you have
to wait. 

Now...about Allan.  If you have been reading for awhile you probably remember a time on this blog when Allan was a regular topic.  Which is why approximately five people read this.  Of course, the kids have taken over but Allan is still my beloved kitten.  We take him to the vet once each year for shots and a health check.  Usually Justin takes him.  I remember taking him in the weeks before Tessa was born when I was hugely pregnant and I had Ben with me. That was probably my last time. 

We have noticed he has gained some weight over the past few months.  He has always, since he reached his adult size, weighted between 11 and 12 pounds.  Last year he was 12 pounds.  Yesterday he was...wait for it...16 pounds.  Jeez!  I knew he was getting bigger but that's a lot of weight for a small animal.  I feel bad but we truly have not been feeding him more or doing anything different.  The vet says the reason is his advancing age and more sedentary lifestyle.  

I don't think he looks fat...do you?




Well...


OK, he is.  I guess it's time to put a new battery in the old laser pointer and get him running around the house in a frenzy like he used to do when he was a younger man.  I really do relate because I know it is not fun to gain a large fraction of your body weight.  I've done it three times since 2011.  Now I am worried about his fat body trying to lounge in my Christmas tree this year.  He better not tip it over or bend the branches! 

No comments: