Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Halloween Costume Time!

As a child, choosing a Halloween Costume was easy.  My brother and sister and I decided and my mom made it happen with her sewing machine.  Or, if you were my brother, you were a football player every year of elementary school and just wore the same crap you wore around the yard after school every day which included an old football helmet from my Grandpa Harold's high school coaching and athletic director days that was spray painted to match his team of the moment.  I was a dalmation, a Hershey kiss, and a slice of pizza among other things.  In college costumes were still a challenge since I was raised never having purchased a cheaply made but overpriced costume in a bag from a store and felt the need to be original and come up with something of my own. 

I thought I would be a costume sewing mom.  And hopefully I will be eventually.  But for now I am just too lazy and tired and huge for that nonsense.  After some deliberation I have decided that Ben should be "Brown Bear" from the "Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See?" book.  He loves that book and it was the first book he talked about by name. 






There were some cute bear patterns at the fabric store but I am not going to stress myself out over this and instead bought a small quantity of fuzzy light brown fabric and am going to sew some furry accents and ears on a brown sweatsuit I bought at Kohls.  Then it will be comfortable enough for him to wear all day as he is dragged around to my various doctors appointments that day which I just scheduled this morning.  I will be getting an ultrasound to check the baby's position on Halloween!  Hopefully it's head down and not breech! 

There are years in the future for sewing costumes.  For now I am just trying to keep the house from chaos.  What my mom used to regularly complain about after we moved into the cavernous, six bedroom dust gatherer that I grew up in has merit...having the largest house you can get seems like a great idea until you are the one in charge of cleaning it!  I have been letting it slide around here since the place was spotless when we moved it but now, after almost two months, the dust bunnies are gathering.  Sigh...and no, this is not nesting.  I didn't have that last time and I doubt I will have a burst of energy to direct toward cleaning this time either.  It's just not that interesting to me!

Check back around Halloween to see if I actually get "Brown Bear" done or if poor Ben ends up wearing his pumpkin costume from last year again!

No comments: