Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Peony Controversy

In our backyard, right up against our neighbor's driveway, there was an old flowerbed dileneated by a border of paving stones.  It had not been maintained for years and was mostly overgrown by grass except for a few tulip plants that grew with no rhyme or reason.  The back featured a row of huge, bushy peony plants.  There were three different colors including very light pink, bright pink and fuschia.  In June they bloomed with hundreds of flowers.  I cut some to make a few bouquets but mostly enjoyed them outside.  When he started improving the yard, Justin wouldn't let a pre-existing plant live and he wanted to do away with the peonies as well.  I wanted to keep them.  He said he would plant them somewhere else.  I looked it up on the internet and learned that established peony plants don't adjust well to being transplanted. 

Sigh...last week I gave up and he dug them up.  Two were transplanted and the rest were given away to Justin's co-workers.  Sorry I don't have any photos but they are not much to see right now anyway!  I guess I will have a surprise next spring because we don't know which colors remain!  Spring seems like a lifetime away right now!

This is a picture of one of my bouquets.  It looks pretty sparse!  The reason it is that way is because you are supposed to cut peonies before the blooms have opened.  I was imagining something more like this...

Yeah...Nice try!

No comments: