Thursday, November 18, 2010

I'm Getting in the Spirit...

It is November 18, which means that Christmas is five weeks away.  Today was cold like winter, not fall, and when it is cold I feel like shopping.  OK, I feel like shopping all the time, regardless of the season, but the idea of a warm, bright mall was very appealing when I left work today.  I was delighted but not surprised to find the mall in full Christmas regalia, with the lit pine boughs and big red shiny ornaments hanging in the corridors and the stores displaying sweaters, mittens and hats in the windows.   Oh, I love it!  I know I am a sucker but I am affected by holiday merchandising. I also love to hear Christmas music when I shop.  I am not 100% a sucker...I know that the beautiful sweaters and wool coats and mittens will be 40% as soon as New Year Day arrives and 60% by February and that no smart shopper buys winter hats and mittens in November.  But it's really fun to look!  During my browsing I found a summer dress I wanted from Macy's that was originally $118 and today cost $23.00.  Now I need a trip to Mexico so I can wear it! 

I am going to Bis this weekend and might put up the Christmas tree. I think it is pretty early but I won't be home for a few weeks after this weekend and I would like it to be waiting for me the next time I am there. We have a tall and very slim fake tree that my mom bought both Andrea and I on clearance a few years ago. This will be its 4th Christmas and it is fine for now. It certainly doesn't fool anyone and there is no question that it is fake. I fantasize about one day having a very real looking fake tree (or maybe a real tree...who knows) that looks something like these beautiful trees from Pottery Barn's catalogue.  Have I mentioned before that being a Pottery Barn display room designer (or IKEA or Crate and Barrel) is a fantasy job of mine?  Being the designer of Christmas spreads would be the ultimate fantasy!

The red Santa theme is always a good choice. 


I love how this one incorporate's words!  I would take it beyond just "Happy Holidays" and print the lyrics of a Christmas Song.  Maybe "O, Christmas Tree"!

This one has very nice fake snow!  I love the look.  I also love how there are two trees in the shot.  How festive!  I know alot of people, such as my mom and Justin's mom, have two trees in separate rooms of the house (Oh, to have a large house!) but I have never seen them right next to each other.  It looks cute with real trees.  It's kind of like a forest.  It would look pretty bad with fake trees though. 

I love the look of the trees with very short needlesas opposed to the varity with very long needes that look fluffy.  They are all nice, but I prefer the short needles.  These PB pictures reminded me of this photo I scanned...

That is my granparents' tree from the mid-1950's.  My grandma said it was her first Christmas tree that she had after they were married.  It is not as full as the catalogue trees yet reminds me of them.  The catalogue ones have a vintage feel!  The tinsel is a nice touch. Although they didn't have a large ornament collection the tree still looks special. Tinsel always adds alot to a Christmas tree! 

If our tree is taken out this weekend expect some photos next week!

Oh, and P.S....a few posts ago I linked to Justin's mom's blog about China...I checked it daily waiting for posts and no update came and she emailed and said that her new blog has now been shut down by the Chinese Communist censorship just as the old one was.  How annoying and dissapointing!  Come on, China! 

No comments: