Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Change of Scenery

The farm that I refer to often is where I grew up (at least since 1991) and where my parents still live has looked pretty much the same since that time.  When I was in high school my dad built a new machine shed and the year I graduated he added a sunroom/mud room onto the house.  About a month ago I learned that my dad had a builder over to make plans to build a new shop!  There is already a building that we call the "shop" which is where my dad keeps his tools.  That shop is prohibitive because it is not big enough to pull a truck or tractor into.  Also, it doesn't have heat except for an old wood burning stove.  There are also a few machine sheds but they don't have heat or electricity and one has a gravel floor.  This new shop will have a concrete floor that is also heated!  It will have elecricity, heat, and plumbing!  "Plumbing" includes a bathroom!  He will be able to work on projects in this nice warm shop all winter long.  It will have windows and various doors.  This is going to be fun...

It is progressing quickly.  Dad excavated the sight with his bulldozer in preparation for the build.  One afternoon I was talking to my mom on the phone as she was driving home and as she drove into the driveway she said something along the lines of  "Oh, what has he been doing?!"  He had gone to town on the area and tore down an old elecrtric pole (the wires are now buried). I arrived today soon after noon and the builders had poured the concrete and were smoothing it with big electric trowels.  By the time it gets too cold the structure should be up and ready to be finished.  He plans on doing the interior work himself, including the insulating, wiring, and plumbing. 


I saved my photography for after the workers had gone home so they wouldn't think I was crazy!  Who would want a picture of cement drying?  I am actually pretty amazed by this cement...it is fast drying so it could already be walked on today although it is not ready for heavy use.  Building will start on Monday if weather permits. 

 I carved my name for posterity!

Wally is mildy interested in the project.  Fortunately, the builders didn't seem to mind a clingy dog visiting them throughout the day.   There is going to be a dog door for him so he can take shelter on cold nights. 


Those orange tubes run under the concrete to heat the floor .  This is where the bathroom will be.  I've always thought we needed a third bathroom!  Maybe I will start sleeping in the shop when we have alot of guests!


I think it is so crazy that this cement dries so fast...it still looks wet but is solid!  The view will be quite a bit different soon, but in a good way!

No comments: