Friday, June 11, 2010

The Mundane. . .

Two days ago, while Justin was toiling outside to finish removing the rock lanscaping in our yard, I was looking out the window and realized something that filled me with dread. I almost pretended I didn't see it. . .the blinds on the window were very very dirty and covered with a layers of dust. They had residue of the yellowish sawdust that I thought was finally gone after weeks of cleanup after we sanded and refinished the wood floors. I knew what I had to do and I didn't like it-I had to take the blinds down and clean them! Ugh. . .

I recall my mom cleaning the blinds on the farm a few times a year. Blinds are her window treatment of choice so there were alot to clean. I can't say I ever helped with the process at all, but I always thought it looked like a drag.

Have you ever been to a Norwex party, with it's feel-g00d emphasis on earth friendly, chemical free cleaning products and procedures for moms who don't want their kids exposed to chemicals and fumes? The parties feature microfiber cloths and sponges that can apparently kill bacteria with only water and laundry soap so natural that it biodegrades once it goes down the drain. (By the way, I'm not mocking Norwex. . .I have some of the products myself and they do work for general cleaning) To imagine my mom's cleaning philosophy, picture the complete opposite of that, and imagine large quantities of bleach, Pine-sol, Palmolive, Ajax, and cup of Tide filled to Line 3. In her defense, I don't think many Norwex consultants live in 120 year old houses with poor ventilation and have to wash the clothes of farmers who end the day with clothing soiled with agricultural pesticides and jeans caked with mud around the bottoms. Her weapon of choice for the blinds, which quickly accumulate grime due to the houses proximity to gravel roads and open windows all summer long, is a nice soak in the bath tub in a nice, gentle ammonia and water mix.

Our blinds were pretty dirty because they haven't been cleaned for probably a year or more. I don't have any ammonia so I read on the Internet that dish soap could work. I have never hung or removed blinds so I had to figure out how to take them down before I started. It was easy! Imagine that! I soon discovered that the blinds for the main window were way too long for the tub so I sprayed them with the garden hose and scrubbed them in the back yard and left them on a bed of towels to dry in the sun.

The smaller sets fit in the tub, and I got them all clean, but not without alot of pestering from Allan.
He is the snoopiest cat ever!
I was so happy to finish the chore but I wasn't in the clear yet. . .when I was perched on the arm rest of the couch trying to snap the blinds back into place (much more difficult that taking them down) I noticed a smear of red on them! Aahh! It was blood! And it was coming from me! I had cut my hand, at the base of my thumb, and I hadn't even felt it! Gross. At least I won't have to worry about cleaning the blinds for many months.
On a different topic, we have several large peony bushes in the back yard. There are many buds ready to open and I thought that, since there were so many flowers on the way, I would make a bouquet! I looked it up on the Internet and learned that I should cut blooms that were just opening.
They look and smell so pretty! I love the dark red one! I think there is a lighter pink bush as well, but they weren't ready to open yet. . .that will be my next attempt at flower arrangement!
Since returning from Fargo I have been trying to fit the clothes I had there back into the available space (and there isn't much!) I put a big stack of sweaters away and replaced them with shorts and skirts that had been stored in a plastic tub. I pulled a drawer out to arrange it and Allan crawled right into the lower drawer! He is always in my business.


No comments: