Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Oh Christmas Tree. . .You Look So Good!

The tree is up! I love it and believe it looks the best it has ever looked. Well, it is only on its third Christmas, so that isn't really saying much. I tried ot go heavy on blue decorations this year because I have a box of blue ornaments from IKEA. Of course, I could never leave off my or Justin's old favorite ornaments, regardless of theme or color!

I was worried that Allan would be a pain in the a$$ about the tree, and at first I was right and very concerned about saving Christmas! He wanted to climb right up and start chewing on the cords! The tree has been up since Thanksgiving, though, and he has lost interest in it for the most part. We kept ornaments off the bottom few inches to minimize temptation.

I love this picture. . .I don't know what setting I was using but it looks so pretty even though he is being naughty!


Here it is finished! Well, almost. It looks kind of crooked but we have addressed the problem. As you can probably tell, that tree is fake. It is slim and marketed toward apartment people. Andrea and I bought matching ones on clearance 3 years ago! I look forward to having a bigger one eventually, but our house is small, and it fits perfectly into this corner so we will probably keep using it for a few more years.
I love all Christmas trees, fake and real. When I was young, during our Wyoming days, we always had real trees. Our first year on the farm, we cut one out of a shelter belt (owned by my family, of course!) and it flew out of the pickup multiple times on the way home and looked even more off kilter than it was to begin with. By January, it was so dry and brittle that my dad cut it up in the living room and threw it out the window in pieces to avoid a trail of disintigrating tree running through the whole house. After that, my mom bought a fake one from Hardware Hank in town (now sadly out of business). Now, there are two trees on the farm! One (the Hardware Hank tree) is in our sun porch and is decorated with the tacky, old, and more "country" looking ornaments and ornaments we made as kids. The one in the living room is the more eleagant tree (if you can call it that-it's no department store tree, that's for sure, but it is beautiful to us!) This is the first year I haven't been there to decorate! It kind of makes me sad, until I think about trudging up two flights of stairs to get to the freezing cold attic and trudging down multiple times hauling boxes then having to bring the empty ones back up again. Sigh, sad I missed it. . .

No comments: