Tuesday, December 15, 2009

I Have a Scanner. . .Watch Out!

I got a scanner for Christmas from Justin's parents and when I was in Eastern ND last weekend I grabbed some pictures (It seems like alot, but I only took one family album from when I was pre-school aged, a few prints from a box, and an envelope of pictures from my grandparents' 50th anniversary in 2004.) My favorites that I have added to my digital collection are a few professional photographs from the 1930's and 40's of my Grandpa and his family.

My grandpa Glenn is the middle boy in the back with the cute grin. I can't help but notice the classic style of the clothing in the picture. It looks pretty nice and I think anyone in any decade would agree. This picture didn't have a date, but I estimate it to be between 1938 and 1940. Little did they know that 33 years later they would be wearing clothes like this:

Oh, what happened during those years? I bet those little boys in those austere black suits couldn't imagine their own children would be wearing clothes like this:


And a few years later they would have clothes (and hair) like this:

I won't even get into what those children's children (Myself and my siblings and cousins) were wearing in the 80's and 90's because it is even worse in different ways. At least we learned our lessons and will never go back.
This is Glenn again at the age of 17. It's a nice picture, but when I was looking at it, I noticed something that I have notice about myself in many photographs. Look at his eye (his left, on your right). The eyelid is slightly droopy. Keep reading. . .

This is a picture of my parents before a homecoming dance at NDSU in the late 70's-probably 78?? They look pretty nice, nice dress, understated suit by 70's standards. . .


There it is! The droopy left eyelid! Nothing extremely noticeable but. . .
This is Justin and I at a dance in college where they had a professional photographer. And there it is again. . . eyelid! I have always kind of noticed that eyelid. What makes it worse for me is that my eyelashes are two different colors. The left one is the whitest blonde and the right one is like my hair. So in childhood pictures it looks pretty off-kilter sometimes. It doesn't bother me a whole lot and it's not the worst feature to have (although I don't go anywhere without mascara!) but it is funny that the same trait on the same eye is present in 3 generations. I haven't noticed it on my other relatives. (If you scroll back to the 1930's picture you can see it also).
Ok, me and my eyelid are going to wrap this up!

No comments: