Monday, January 17, 2011

Weekend

It is the time in January when I forget what it ever felt like to wear sandals outside and feel a warm wind and see green vegetation.  The weather has been really crappy and the driving conditions have been terrible.  However, that didn't stop me from venturing out of town for the first time since Christmas to head to Justin's Grandpa Les's 94th birthday celebration on Saturday.  He lives in a retirement home in a small town and it was a friendly place, much like the home in the town where i grew up! 

I don't know Grandpa Les very well the way I know Justin's Grandma.  Justin is the youngest of his cousins on his mom's side.  Several of his cousins have children who are the same age as my cousins!  We don't see them very often so it was fun to get together.  In an effort to know Grandpa Les better, I asked Justin what he was like when he was younger, before his retirement home days.  He recalled that he enjoyed working in the yard and that the two of them went fishing in the summer. 

Here is a family photo.  It's kind of dark...that might have happened because my camera battery was about to drain as the picture was being taken.  The residents at the home enjoyed seeing the kids playing in the common room. 

I spent the rest of the long weekend at my parents' house.  I learned that my rental Nissan is ill equipped for winter and especially winter at a farm. Driving on the snow was a problem.  That car doesn't have enough power.  I want my Fusion back! 

I was uploading my recent pictures and realized that I overlooked everything we did last weekend.  We celebrated little Cayson's 1st birthday at a hotel in MN.  I didn't mean to forget to mention it...it was the day after the accident and in my self absorbtion over that mess I bypassed the birthday party. 

He loved his cake!  Well...he loved to play with his cake.  Once he was in his high chair he dug in with his hands and began kneading the cake like it was playdough or something!  I'm not sure if any made it to his mouth!  After he had his fill he went swimming with his cousins.  It was a pretty good first birthday! 

No comments: