Friday, April 16, 2010

Nature's First Green

Did anyone catch that reference to Robert Frost? It's from "Nothing Gold Can Stay". Alot of people know it because it was mentioned in the book "The Outsiders", a popular and generally widely enjoyed high school English class feature.

"Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her leaf's an early flower,
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf,
So Eden sank to grief.
Dawn goes down to day
Nothing gold can stay."

I'm back in "Biz" for a 4 day weekend and I'm so happy! I missed it! I was last here three weeks ago and alot has changed since then! The snow is gone and it is turning green!

This plant is in the flower bed lining the sidewalk leading to the front door. When we moved in it was overgrown with an unnatractive spreading perrenial that was growing into the lawn. I wouldn't mind, except whatever it was looked like a weed. This plant is on the end and we were told both by Justin's mom and the neigbor across the street that it was worth saving. It's coming back! Also, it appears there are some sort of bulbs in there as well! We'll see what they are when the flowers come!

That is the flower bed in the back yard. I can't wait to dig into that as soon as the risk of frost passes! There seems to be tulips or lilies in there as well!

As you can see, the back yard slopes and near the back there is an area where it appears that the previous owners had a garden. I believe they liked to can based on the pantry that was under the basement stairs when we moved it. We might ressurect the garden and I hope that we have better luck than we used to have with our garden attempts on the farm when I was growing up! I will write more about those missadventures at a later date when and if we actually start planting things!

There are the empty flower pots that we had on the apartment balcony last year! I forgot they were back there because I haven't walked in the yard since before Christmas! The apartment balcony got around 3 hours of sun during the longest days of summer. I can't wait to plant some sun loving geraniums and marigolds this year!

Those little plants look like some sort of spawn at the moment, but soon they will be ferns! Justin wants to dig them up but I like them so we will see what happens to the little guys!

No comments: