Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Story to Make Your Day!

I heard some news that delighted me yesterday. I was at my sister's house in Fargo and she was talking to my mom on the phone in another room while I was getting ready in her bathroom and experimenting with all of her makeup and products. When she got off the phone she casually said, "Mom said to tell you that the Carlsons adopted that cat you were worried about."

Now some background information. . .In early December I was at home and I went to the grocery store to buy a Christmas tree for the Ford Garage. I was examining the trees lined up in front of the store on the sidewalk when I noticed a brown tabby cat with a fluffy tail. It was kind of shivering and when I petted it I could feel how bony it was. It looked right into my eyes and meowed once, like it was saying "Hi." The cashier didn't know whose it was, and it seemed to be homeless.

I couldn't take it with me because our dog at the farm doesn't like cats and would have just chased it away or worse. The town doesn't have any formal animal control procedures so that wasn't an option. I also was worried that kids might be cruel to it and about how cold it seemed. (I know animals can adapt to cold, as I have seen throughout my years with farm cats and dogs, but this one seemed affected by it, as though it didn't; have the thick fur of an outdoor cat.) I thought about the cat all day. The image of the poor thing, looking for a family by the Christmas trees, was so sad and I really wanted to help it! I have continued to think about it during the past several weeks.

This weekend my parents went to a party at a friends' house and they heard that our friends had adopted a stray cat! My mom asked if it was the cat that was hanging out by the store and it was! Mr. Carlson encountered the cat as well and decided that it should live with them! That news really made my day. . .my week! That is one lucky cat! This family already has a cat that is as fat as a beach ball so I know that my Christmas cat will never be deprived! They also have a young daughter to give it alot of attention. I still don't know the gender of the cat or what its new name is but those are minor details!

No comments: