Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Happy 90th Grandma Irene!

Over the weekend we celebrated Justin's grandmother's 90th birthday. Her birthday was back in December but this large gathering of family and friends was held on Saturday.  Of course, there was a blizzard but that didn't stop anyone from getting there!  Unless the interstate is closed people in ND generally hit the road! 
 
I can't remember the first time I met Irene but one of my earlier memories of her is seeing her frying homemade donuts in the kitchen of Justin's cousin's house (formerly her house) during the opening weekend of hunting back in probably 2003 or 2004.  She has always been so nice to everyone and I no no exception and she always has a compliment for my shoes or my dress and says, "when I was young I would wear things like that!"
 
She earned a teaching degree from Mayville State (one of her former students now friends was at the party!) and beat cancer in the 1960s.  She has experienced the loss of a son, Justin's dad, and her husband and has persevered to live to know approximately 20 great grandchildren (I hope that number is correct!)
 
On the day of the party my camera malfunctioned due to a very low battery so my memory card ended up being filled with a bunch of empty files so I found a few older pictures of her on my computer. 
 
 
Tessa's baptism.

 

A visit from baby Ben during hunting season in 2012. 

She is in good health and could live for many more years!

No comments: