Monday, March 17, 2014

Big Sky 2014

Well, another trip to the mountains has taken place.  We went to Big Sky, where we have gone almost every year with a few deviations to Colorado and a rare skipped year.  We were trying to count how many times we had gone and it has been twenty years since that first trip when I was in fourth grade. 

I usually look forward even to the long, relaxed drive across North Dakota and Montana but this year I was nervous and tense about it due to the two children we had to travel with.  The drive went...OK...It could have been better but could have been much worse.  There was no puking, no blowout diapers, and no sleepless nights but there was a lot of whining, fussing, and stressful restaurant meals.  As with many things in life, the bad memories fade away and I think the trip was worth it although at times I wondered if we were crazy to attempt it.  I caved and allowed Ben to use technology in the car so that was helpful! 

I am still longing for the mountains.  I took this picture on the interstate when we were between Billings and Bozeman on Sunday.  Ah, what a sight!

 
The first day we skied, which was Monday, it snowed heavily.  It was the most snow and the most water dense snow I have seen there.  We were all soaking wet by the end of the day.  It was worth it though, because on Tuesday morning there was a foot of powder waiting!   It was a magical winter wonderland!  I would not have been happy if this happened here at home but for some reason it was great in the mountains!
 

 
Ben was able to play in the snow on our balcony!





 
Mmm...much better than ND snow!
 
During the week we were able to watch the NDSU basketball team make it to March Madness! 

 
On Friday night we ate at the base area at a favorite restaurant and bar called Whiskey Jacks.  Usually the evenings there are a favorite part of the trip.  It is a cozy place with the atmosphere of the mountains.  Here is a picture from the 2009 trip...
 
 
And the 2011 trip...
 
 
Sigh, the good old days.  This year, I didn't take any pictures because I was too busy alternating with Justin while we took turns chasing Ben around lodge outside the restaurant because he wouldn't sit still and quit whining and fit throwing long enough for us to eat or enjoy a drink.  We did step outside to get some pictures to commemorate Tessa's first trip to Big Sky (and Ben's third!)



 
 Hopefully there will be many more! 
 
We had access to a nice pool at "Moonlight Lodge" near our cabin but it was a pain to pack up and get there so we only went there once.  Ben did get to enjoy the hot tub with the men one night and also enjoyed "swimming" in the big bathtub in the master suite of the cabin.  He floated around in the hot tub for over an hour! 


 
It snowed again on the last night we were there and  tried to capture it on film.  It kind of worked. 

 
 The rest of these pictures are from my phone so are not in order where they should be.


 
Mmmm...yummy snow temperature beer!

 
Mountain baby.

 
One of the guys!
 
This week my legs have had the urge for the feel of skiing.  I wish I could do it more often!  Until we meet again, Big Sky!

No comments: