Thursday, August 20, 2009

This Is It

This is what EVERYONE has been waiting for...riiiiight...


Here are some pictures of the house. They came from the listing on the internet, so the furnishings are those of the previous owner.






This is the house from the front. It is on 16th Street. I am only slightly dissapointed that our address will not be something interesting and exotic sounding, like our old address on campus, which was "Tulane Drive". The avenues in this new neigborhood are called interesting names such as "LaForest" and "Braman" and "Harmon". (I wonder who LaForest, Braman and Harmon are?) If I ever play that game where you jokingly give yourself an exotic dancer name, race car driver name, etc. based on the name of your street, childhood pet, or some other silly thing, I will use LaForest instead of 16th! Hello, my name is Rascal LaForest and I am a race car driver!






This is the living room. It is the first room you see when you walk in the front door. I think it looks pretty generic at the moment. Under the carpet are wood floors. The first thing we will be doing next Wednesday is ripping that carpet out and throwing it away! It's actually not the worst carpet I've ever seen (not even close!), but it is 20 years old. The owner is moving out due to her advancing age, and she told us that she covered the wood floor after her husband died because she didn't want to worry about the maintenance. Hmmm...maintenance...I don't know about this wood floor business... Hopefully a swiffer cloth will be adequate!






This is one of the "non-conforming" basement bedrooms. It is the biggest bedroom in the house. All of this conformity business was news to me, and I never really thought about it before based on the fact that many of my friends grew up having their bedrooms in their basements. I thought basement living was great! You could sleep alot later because no light would disturb you after a late night of playing "Truth , Dare, Double Dare, Promise or Repeat". I guess if there is a fire, you are more likely to get trapped though...who knew? Don't worry, if any of you visit us and sleep down there, I will give you a ladder so you can escape, OK?






This is the kitchen. I love that canopy thing over the oven. When were were touring the house, I noticed that inside the oven, the owner had stashed some excess clutter from the kitchen. She and I seem to have more in common that I originally thought!



This is a beautiful shot of the second non-conforming basement bedroom. It is the only room in the house with panelled walls. What was the deal with that, anyway? Every house we saw had some sort of panelling somewhere. Who came up with the idea, years ago, that covering the walls with some immitation wood was a good idea? I'm glad it's only in one room

No comments: