Thursday, May 24, 2018

Last Week of School

It is the last day of school for Ben and yesterday was Tessa's last day.  I feel weird saying this but I wanted to hit pause this last month as the days just flew by because I don't want to say goodbye to their schools.  Waaaah.  Moving is hard.  Tessa was crying after we got home from her graduation because she was going to miss the Y.  Her teachers gave the kids little stuffed emoji keychains (try explaining what that is to my grandmas!) and she has been clenching that thing in her fist since.




Of course, this really isn't much of a graduation at all since she's still going to preschool again next year but it's fun for the kids so whatever.  Some kids in her class are 5 and heading to "big kid school" next year some it was.  They had black mortarboards and everything but the teachers kept them to use for the other classes.  Those things do look like a pain to make.  

After the ceremony, which was held in a church across from the Y for some reason instead of the usual gym where Ben's always was, we had cookies in the classroom and Calvin was a very popular guest.   


This is out of order but here is Tessa walking in with her huge hat on.  


They sang the classic "These are the Months of the Year" and some other fun songs and then got their diplomas.  


Here is Milo climbing all over the kitchen toys that were shoved in the corner for the summer.  

As a record of progress, the preschool has the kids draw a picture of themselves each month of the year to display how they are developing.  There is a normal continuum that this process follows for most kids.  I'm pretty impressed with hers.  Ben's people drawing is still solidly in the "mat man" and stick figure territory (his pictures of boats, guns, animals and scenery are pretty good though).  Check out Tessa: the Pink Marker Version. 


And this was the first month of school:

Pretty amazing I think. She  loves to draw hearts and she can draw a really good freehand circle which I am pretty bad at so it intrigues me.  

Ahhh...it's 1:15.  I have approximately an hour and 45 minutes left of peaceful school afternoons.  I wonder-did my mom feel this way about summer?  We are going with a bunch of Kindergarten classmates and a few old preschool friends to a well known kid themed restaurant when school is over and it should be a RIOT with a baby and a 2 year old along but oh well.  I can watch the other moms visit while I chase my maniac toddler around.  At least everyone is always willing to hold the baby. I'm sure I'll be stressed and sweating when it's all over. 

No comments: