Tuesday, February 6, 2018

100 Days

I've noticed a silly trend as my friends have become older and the babies that were announced with joy on Facebook are now in elementary school.  It is now a "thing" to have a party at school to celebrate the 100th day of class.  I don't remember such a countdown when I was in school but Ben has known exactly what day of school they are on since day one.  The only time we counted the days of school was when I was a senior and one of my classmates made a paper chain like the ones kids make to countdown to Christmas to countdown our days left in high school.  Where did we keep such a silly thing?  It was in our senior lounge, which was located in an obsolete creepy basement locker room from the 1930's that I mentioned a few weeks ago in my school building post.  We kept our books on shelves in the old shower room and we had some very musty old furniture and a TV which only tuned in a few channels.  One was NBC, because we were able to view the soap opera Days of our Lives and I also remember watching the 2000 Olympics in Sydney, Australia during lunch and after school which ended at 2:30 for most seniors.  The chain was draped all around the room.  There were many places to string it because the ceiling was mostly made up of exposed water pipes.

As day 100 drew near, I kept waiting for the directive from school for what sort of costume or theme day I should be preparing for but it never came.  The common themes I've seen are attaching 100 items (stickers, pins, etc.) to a tshirt and dressing like a centenarian aka an elderly person.  Or, what is the stereotype of an elderly person.  Something about that makes me cringe but I have seen it on the kids of friends from all different states and types of schools.  But, lucky me, for Ben's 100th day they made hats at school and did some fun activities and that was that.  Yayyyyy.


I want to dismiss celebrating the 100th day as kind of dumb and unnecessary but I guess public schools have removed many of the things I thought were awesome as a kid (Fall Festival instead of Halloween anyone?) so I can't argue with putting some politically correct and impossible to offend anyone fun back into the year.  Everyone believes in numbers, right?

Just for fun, here is a picture of the classic two year old doing what they do best-collapsing on the floor (this time it was the cold and dirty garage floor) because he didn't get his way.  So charming.  

No comments: